RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Remote access and security

DutchWHS

Hi all,

I bought my WHS server (HP Mediasmart 490) a few months ago, and so far have been really happy with it.

It centralises my music/photo collection and is making daily backups of the PC's in my network. I even hooked up some Squeezeboxes (one Duet and two Booms) ... it's been a great ride so far ;-)

With all my content centralised on the server, I find I'm very hesitant to open up the remote access/mediasmart web site. On the one hand it seems very cool to host my own site to share photos with my overseas family, or stream my music when I'm away from home - but on the other hand someone with ill intentions could as well damage my important collection or worse...

Can you share your thoughts on this, have you enabled remote access into your WHS and what did you do to protect your content & machines??

I searched the forums for similar topics, but have not been able to find this; feel free to direct me to an existing thread if something along these lines has allready been a topic of discussion before

Thanks in advance!

Edited by DutchWHS

Hi and welcome.

When you enable Remote Access, it's like allowing the current users that are on you WHS access to the files they already have. So this access is protected by user names and passwords.

Then there are a few items you can add to the myserver.com/home web pages that can be used by the public. If you add the Whiist addin, you can modify what is and is not accessable.

http://www.andrewgrant.org/whiist This is an old addin, but is still useful.

If you prefer to be more secure and not allow direct access to you server,but still want to make your photos available to family and friends, you can enable your web site just for yourself locally, then use the HP PhotoViewer option to upload you photos for safe keeping and family viewing to some of the online services that are included in the list. Then you can share that online source with you family. This way your server is not accessable on the internet but your photos are copied online and available to others.

Hi and welcome.

When you enable Remote Access, it's like allowing the current users that are on you WHS access to the files they already have. So this access is protected by user names and passwords.

Then there are a few items you can add to the myserver.com/home web pages that can be used by the public. If you add the Whiist addin, you can modify what is and is not accessable.

http://www.andrewgrant.org/whiist This is an old addin, but is still useful.

Thanks for your quick reply, DieHard!

I'll have a look at the whiist addin, I hadn't seen that yet.

So - do you consider the homeserver secure enough to allow remote access as it is, or did you implement additional security? And do you keep track of access attempts, to detect potential hackers?