RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
cskenney

Wireless Router recommendation please

itGeeks

I wouldn't call that a cheap price of admission for home users. It's not outrageous, but it's not cheap either. The other issue I have is that inSSIDer's ability to detect noise is going to be dependent on the particular transceiver unit in the computer being used to scan. Transceivers can vary quite a bit. Also, different transceivers will react to noise differently. InSSIDer's suggested channel could be a good starting place, or a reasonable selection if time is a constraint but, in the end, I still believe that real-world testing is the only way to find the very best channel.

O ikon, I dont know you but I think I love you :) No punt intended. I guess this is a shootout of Democratic Party vs Republican Party :P LOL. All kidding aside, I agree with some of what your saying. You are correct in that it will be dependent on the particular transceiver unit in the computer or device being used to scan the network however the inSSIDer package that I talked about "inSSIDer Office & Wi‑Spy Mini that cost 199.99" includes a USB Dongle so it would not be dependent on the internal WiFi card of the device being used & I stand strong in saying 199.99 for this type of tool is cheap for all the power you get to fix your own WiFi trouble or if your the friends & family IT guy that everyone calls when something is not working right, I don't know about you but my time is worth 95.00 an hour so if I can go in and fix something quick because I used the right tool then that's a good day for me. I am not saying that everyone should go out and purchase this kit however if your having WiFi trouble and you need a good tool to try and figure out whats going on with your WiFi Network this price is well worth it unless of course you want to just play with setting for days, weeks, months in hopes of getting it right or maybe even better just pay someone 400-500 dollars to come in and do a wireless survey to see whats going on....Just my 2 cents.

ikon

Ah, the pro version comes with its own NIC. That does change things, in that it helps inSSIDer give much more consistent results than it would if it depended on the built in NIC. It helps explain some of the cost too :)

Last time I used inSSIDer I don't think there was such a version available. The version I used was free, but apparently there is no free version anymore: the minimum is now $20US. There is a 30-day, money back guarantee.

itGeeks

Ah, the pro version comes with its own NIC. That does change things, in that it helps inSSIDer give much more consistent results than it would if it depended on the built in NIC. It helps explain some of the cost too :)

Last time I used inSSIDer I don't think there was such a version available. The version I used was free, but apparently there is no free version anymore: the minimum is now $20US. There is no free version any more, but there is a 30-day guarantee.

That is correct, there is no more free version. I also had the free version for a long time but recently shelled out the cash for the paid version because Meta Geeks has a great product. Glad you seem to agree now & sorry for the jokes but I could not help myself :)

I personally want to thank you for your hard work in helping all of us in this community, I know you post allot and you have tried to help me with trouble I was having in the past so hats off to you ikon, Keep up the hard work. Its people like you that make this community so great!!

Happy Holidays!!! to you and your family

ikon

That's awfully kind of you to say. I do it because I agree it's a great community: no flamers, snobs, or others who bring negativity.

Happy holidays to you and yours... :)

ImTheTypeOfGuy

cskenney, so what did you end up buying and are you satisfied with it?

schoondoggy, is it easy to set up the firewall and AP's. I have never done it but am very interested in a separate device for wireless.

Drashna Jaelre

Depends on the device. and the firmware. But generally pretty easy.

The open source firmware routers make it really easy to set up an independent AP. 

I use dd-wrt and my Linksys E3000 is working as JUST an AP now.

Another option is the powerline "repeaters" which can work as an AP as well.

ikon

As far as consumer level wireless routers are concerned, you can turn them into pure Access Points by simply not using the WAN port. Connect a LAN port on the router to your Ethernet switch, set up your wireless parameters, leave the WAN port empty, and you automatically have a wireless AP.

Drashna Jaelre

True, but I've played with a few linksys' that REALLY didn't like it if you did that...

jmwills

As far as consumer level wireless routers are concerned, you can turn them into pure Access Points by simply not using the WAN port. Connect a LAN port on the router to your Ethernet switch, set up your wireless parameters, leave the WAN port empty, and you automatically have a wireless AP.

And use different channels than your other wireless devices.

ikon

True, but I've played with a few linksys' that REALLY didn't like it if you did that...

Really? I haven't had any issues with that. Mind you, I was mostly using WRT54G routers. Which ones gave you problems?

And use different channels than your other wireless devices.

Yes indeed. Each AP should be on its own channel, preferably 2 or more channel numbers away from the channels being used by the APs, to avoid any overlap: e.g. with 3 APs use channels 1, 6 & 11; with 4, use channels 1, 4, 7 & 11. Of course, this is only possible if there are no competing routers in your area (e.g. like your neighbours).