RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
cskenney

Wireless Router recommendation please

jazzerjay

I've had a Linksys E2000 for some time and have had to reboot once in a blue moon.  There have been reports in the household of the wireless dropping, but only in the kitchen.  A direct line to the kitchen takes the signal through two outer walls.  

Thanks for the ideas guys, I may just get one of these that support the Chromecast.

GavinCampbell

As a tip, I installed a program called Xirrus Wifi Inspector (was recommended in another thread) on a laptop and put it in a spot where I wanted great signal.  I then played around on the router with the various channels and settings and looked at the signal differences.

When I first set it up my signal was at 66% and after going through all the available channels i found the best channel that gave my a signal of 98%.

This was the difference that allowed me to eventually stream 720p videos over the wireless N without problems.

I advise you give this a try if you are having signal issues in the house.  Maybe it will help.

• Like 1

ikon

It's always a good idea to use a WiFi sniffer when setting up APs. One of the main benefits is to identify which channels are the least used in your area, to reduce frequency contention.

oj88

Xirrus Wifi Inspector is the bomb!

Alternatively, if you detest doing wireless surveys lugging around a laptop, you can use an Android tablet or smartphone with either of the following apps: WiFi Analyzer or inSSIDer.

EDIT: Apparently, inSSIDer is no longer free. I still have the free version installed on my phone from way back.

ikon

One thing I noticed with wireless surveys is that the quality and sensitivity of the wireless gear in the unit being used to conduct the survey can heavily affect the results obtained. In some cases I've seen one laptop detect twice as many Access Points as another.

tojoski

Look at the Ubiquiti Air Router. I have installed many of these and they are rock solid.

I'm running one of the Unifi access points along with a sophos router.

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-AirRouter-Indoor-WiFi-router/dp/B007ZJ8KLA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1411695242&sr=8-2&keywords=air+router

The OS has built-in tools for analyzing nearby frequencies.

Edited by tojoski

ikon

Ubiquity makes good stuff, and you can run 3rd party firmware on it if you want.

LoneWolf

I'm currently using ASUS' RT-AC87R (the U is the same thing, the R is just the "retail" version sold at big box stores), their top-end unit.

I'd probably recommend the RT-AC68U, their second from top-end.  You save money, and the one feature you lose is a long way off from use (Quantenna 5GHz radio for MU-MIMO, which requires compatible MU-MIMO clients, which aren't available yet).

The key to the AC68 and AC87 are that you get dual-core processors.  Lower-end ASUS units don't have this, which is fine, until you want to run either an OpenVPN server or client.  The encryption used by OpenVPN tunnels bogs down the single-core variants, as it takes a lot of horsepower.  Not an issue with the 68 or 87.

If you're not into ASUS, the NetGear Nighthawk R7000 has similar specs/features, but the availability of custom firmware isn't quite as nice as on the ASUS.  Should also be a good unit.

As much as I like my RT-AC87, I'm wishing a little that I went one model down to the AC-68, as I now have a WatchGuard XTM-25 firewall, which may become my router, and the AC-87 just an access point on steroids.

Edited by LoneWolf

Jason

Great feedback. I am using my RT-N66U as a glorified access point and my Sophos UTM as my firewall and VPN server. Will eventually want to upgrade from 802.11n to 802.11ac.

• Like 1

itGeeks

As a tip, I installed a program called Xirrus Wifi Inspector (was recommended in another thread) on a laptop and put it in a spot where I wanted great signal.  I then played around on the router with the various channels and settings and looked at the signal differences.

When I first set it up my signal was at 66% and after going through all the available channels i found the best channel that gave my a signal of 98%.

This was the difference that allowed me to eventually stream 720p videos over the wireless N without problems.

I advise you give this a try if you are having signal issues in the house.  Maybe it will help.

I use a program called inSSIDer by MetaGeek. The program works great and unlike "Xirrus Wifi Inspector" you don't have to guess what channel to use because inSSIDer will tell you the recommend channel to use and though its not free software it is worth every bit of the 10.00 I pay for it on Android Market for my smart-phone, They also have versions that run on Windows, Mac. so give it a try if your having WiFi trouble, You will be glad you did. :)  http://www.inssider.com/

Disclamer: I have never used "Xirrus WiFi Inspector so I am assuming based on GavinCampbell post that becouse he had to manually go through all available channels till he found the best channel is the reason I say "unlike "Xirrus Wifi Inspector" you don't have to guess what channel to use because inSSIDer will tell you the recommend channel to use"

Edited by MrFixit