RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Plex Pricing Increase - Subscribe Now!

Dave

Upcoming price increase for NEWPlex Pass subscriptions First, we want to thank all of you for the support and loyalty you have given us over the last few years. We truly have the most amazing and passionate community of media lovers on the planet, and it makes our job an absolute joy. If you already have a Plex Pass, rejoice! To show appreciation for your loyalty, the price of your subscription is not increasing (and if you were thinking about upgrading, now is the time). If you don't have a Plex Pass, this is your last chance to subscribe at current rates.

We’re working harder than ever to bring more Plex goodness to all your favorite devices, and we’re super excited about the things we’re working on and can’t wait to share them with you over the next few months! With premium features and content, sometimes come moderate cost increases. So on September 29, 2014 we’ll be making some changes to our Plex Pass subscription rates for new subscribers:

• Monthly Plex Pass subscriptions will increase from $3.99 to

$4.99 per month.

• Annual Plex Pass subscriptions will increase from $29.99 to

$39.99 per year.

• Lifetime Plex Passes will increase from $74.99 to

$149.99.

For all of you PayPal subscribers, we now have support for recurring monthly and annual PayPal subscriptions. We’re also making it easy to view your billing summary by providing full transaction history and receipts.

Again, please note that these new rates will only affect new subscriptions moving forward. Of course, as we’ve mentioned in the past, we may need to charge separately for certain types of premium content, and we may need to adjust Plex Pass prices again in the future.

Thanks again for all of your support and keep an eye out for more new exciting releases coming very soon!

I went ahead and paid for a Lifetime Plex Pass.  http://plex.tv  Not a bad deal even if I don't use it all the time.

Not sure I benefit from PlexPass. Mostly joined to support ongoing development and pre-releases. The install of pre-releases has burned me in past.

I bought the lifetime pass a year or so ago and have been very happy.  I think Plex is a great platform, especially with all the third party support they provide (Roku, ChromeCast and apps on all the major mobile platforms).  I know it's not the only platform and It may not be the best fit for everyone, but it works for me and my family. 

I also have the lifetime. I have an intermittent server connectivity problem, but otherwise happy with it. 

Much easier to use than it's predecessor (XBMC).

With XBMC changing to Kodi, I wonder if we'll be seeing another standalone player on the market. Kind of interesting watching all of this new stuff take shape.

I like idea of Plex app running on a Smart TV. Though prefer to use an AVR to power external speakers and decode HD audio formats.

Edited by Jason

I don't know. I am STILL having issues with Plex. 

Even with QOS enabled for it, and setting the transcoding to "burn my CPU".... when I'm away from home, it's not as good quality images as Subsonic (on the same system).

It's fine on mobile devices, but via the web player or Plex Home Theater... the quality is lacking. Especially if I turn on subtitles. Those get pixelated!

Also, I wouldn't say that it's easier to use than XMBC either. Simpler for the initial setup.... but at least I can install apps on XMBC, while Plex "says" it has, but never actually loads them.

Also, WAF on Plex Home Theater is almost NIL. Half the time, it won't play video....

I really like the idea behind plex, but .... as it's never worked for me, I doubt I'll support them. So this really seems like a burn. 

And I'm curious about why exactly they increased the pricing, though.