RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Transfering the OS to a new drive

c0op3r

I was doing some changes to my WHS hardware (again!), I wanted to put a hard drive in that is just the OS now. I was formally using a 2 TB drive as storage and OS.

I add a 250Gig drive now that I want to be just the OS, so how to I reconfigure the system now, so that the OS/Primary is the 250Gig, and the other (5) 2TB drives are storage without loosing the data that is on the drives, also at some point removing the old OS partition?

You will have to add more storage, remove the drive, and then do a re-install of the OS. To avoid the problem in the future, I would suggest a small primary drive, and at least 3 drives if you use duplication that way WHS will not store data on the primary drive (at least it is not supposed to).

I'm wondering why you might want to do this ? Just so I can think of a solution to what your end goal is. The primary OS partition for WHS v1 is only 20Gig and I have a lot of extra stuff on mine and run around 16Gig used. Having a 250Gig partition seems like a lot of waste unless your doing some thing special. So an explanation could help me suggest to you how to meet your goal.

Vail will allow the OS on a drive by itself but WHS V1 by default does not.

OK let see if I can explain how and why I screwed-up, and boy did I screw-up!

I had always wanted the WHS OS on its own drive, I know that it only takes about 20gig for WHS v1, but 'Vail' is going to take 160gig I understand (or something like that). So I just bought a mother-load of used computer equipment and in that load was (40) 250gig Seagate Barracuda Drives, so I figured, no better time, I will just put one of those in as the OS/System drive, so that the data is all stored on the (5) 2TB Drives.

I did not go about doing any of it the right way! Now I am not asking for information anymore. Now I am just explaining what NOT to do if you decide to do this!

I originally just installed the 250GB drive, putting it on SATA Port 1, (moving each of the other drive down one position)and restarted the machine, that did nothing the machine still booted from the original boot drive. So I disconnected all the 2.oTB drives and booted the machine with only the 250GB drive and re-installed the OS, no problem. Shut the machine down, re-connect all the 2.oTB drives and restart, the OS wants to add them to the pool (ah, no you cant do that!) So I logged into the machine directly, not using the console, copied the data off the drive that had the least amount of data off it, then added that drive to the pool, hoping to just move the data from the other drives to that drive as it was now in the data pool, same thing with the next drive. Those two did not have much of anything on them, but drive #3 was loaded!

And my friend Murphy stopped by the house, and somehow I lost the partition on that drive! So now I have been spending the last 3 days running recovery software to try to get the data back.

But the up side is I have a 250GB OS/System drive now! Ouch!