RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

folder redirection, one user on one computer

franky402

i have a server set up thats been running about 6 - 7 months no issues.  Just recently one user only on one computer gets an error message about folder redirection.  you do not have permission to access \\SERVER\Folder Redirection\user\desktop and i get an error message for every standard folder being missing too.  this user only has an issue on one computer and i can still browser the server folders through explorer on this computer.  Ive done my digging and cant seem to figure out what the issue is.  

The server does randomly have a dynamic dns warning about not being able to reach service provider.  The router is upnp enabled.  

First thing to do is turn off UPnP. Such a Security risk.  Obviously there is something screwy about this one client.  Has the redirect ever worked and if so, can you restore to a point in time that it did work?

You can also try removing the Connector Software, Removing the Client from the Dashboard, archive the backups and reinstalling the Connector Software.

Completely agree with jmwills about UPnP - friends don't let friends use UPnP.

Question. are you saying the one user can log onto other computers and access the redirected folders, but they cannot access the folders only from the 1 computer in question?

If the server is having DDNS issues, you may want to think about using a different DDNS provider.

Is this a domain account or a local/microsoft account?

If it's a domain account, then try this:

On the network adapter (either from device manager, or from the NIC properties):

Flow control: on (client and server)

"checksum" or "Offload": Off (client and server)

jumbo frames: off or default (client or server)

run "netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=highlyrestricted" in an elevated console (command prompt) on the client.

If it's a local account, make sure that the username and password matches (run "lusrmgr.msc" to verify).

Otherwise, use the Credentials Manager to add the correct credentials.

That's an interesting question. I'm sure whether a Domain Account is a requirement or not. I'm sure I knew at one point, but it was quite a few years ago.....

I'm pretty sure it is required.  By that I mean, a non-domain user can access the folders providing they know the credentials, but it should take being a Domain User to have an option like this.

First thing to do is turn off UPnP. Such a Security risk.  Obviously there is something screwy about this one client.  Has the redirect ever worked and if so, can you restore to a point in time that it did work?

You can also try removing the Connector Software, Removing the Client from the Dashboard, archive the backups and reinstalling the Connector Software.

So once the server has configured upnp i can turn it off and everything is still fine.  From looking at the router logs it seems that the ps4 may be trying to use upnp as well.

Completely agree with jmwills about UPnP - friends don't let friends use UPnP.

Question. are you saying the one user can log onto other computers and access the redirected folders, but they cannot access the folders only from the 1 computer in question?

If the server is having DDNS issues, you may want to think about using a different DDNS provider.

That one user can log onto any other computer on the network and use his folders just fine.  In fact any user on this particular computer has no issues either.  Seems to be this one account on this one computer everything else is fine.  

I can also go through explorer and view this users folders on the server with his logon as well.

This leads me to believe something on this user account on this pc is screwed up

When i set it up i believe i used the standard microsoft ddns values.  

Is this a domain account or a local/microsoft account?

If it's a domain account, then try this:
On the network adapter (either from device manager, or from the NIC properties):
Flow control: on (client and server)
"checksum" or "Offload": Off (client and server)
jumbo frames: off or default (client or server)
run "netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=highlyrestricted" in an elevated console (command prompt) on the client.

If it's a local account, make sure that the username and password matches (run "lusrmgr.msc" to verify).
Otherwise, use the Credentials Manager to add the correct credentials.

It is a domain account.  i remotely logged in a tried your suggestions.  same erorr still, seems to have done nothing.

Capture.PNG

Edited by franky402