RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Renny

Setting static IP for LAN devices

Poppapete

@Ikon. The reason I first started using fixed IP's was that I was having trouble connecting to my Sony Bravias when streaming movies from the server. I was using serviio at the time. It would require reloading of serviio to get a new connection and a lot of fiddling on the sony interface.  Once I gave the TV's fixed IP's I never had a problem again.

I do have my lease times set longer purely because of a post I read somewhere and I do recall it was you. As always thanks.

ikon

Interesting Poppapete. I can't think of a reason why that would happen, but something may come to mind later.

Poppapete

So after telling you a have longer lease times I thought since then I changed to using UT.  So on checking I find that UT sets the time at 24 hours for fixed IP's and I don't think it can be changed.

ikon

That's an interesting observation Poppapete. I haven't checked that myself.

LoneWolf

For the home network, I do like ikon does.  DHCP reservations by MAC address for clients I need it for.  My one exception: printers.  I'm just used to setting those static and I keep them outside the DHCP range.

In the workplace, it depends on the client's network configuration and (sometimes) their size.

Renny

My current router, a Billion Bipac 7800N, will only let me set static ips outside the DHCP reservation range. Is this common?

revengineer

My current router, a Billion Bipac 7800N, will only let me set static ips outside the DHCP reservation range. Is this common?

I would think so because you would not want any duplication.

oj88

Depends on the manner how the DHCP server does things. Some allows you to bind an IP address within or outside the DHCP lease range. However, it is aware of this and will never lease it to any other client other than the mac address it is bound with.

ikon

This is sort of an odd situation. Perhaps they're making a distinction between Static and Reserved. Most routers I've dealt with issue Reserved IP addresses from within the DHCP Scope. They assign an IP to a given MAC address and set it to not have any expiry date (a Lease Time of forever). This is what prevents duplication.

Perhaps the Billion is doing something different.