RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Renny

Setting static IP for LAN devices

Renny

As a rule, I have generally used the router interface to set a static IP for PCs and some devices (eg. printers) on my network.

However, I've been wondering if this is best done on the device itself (presuming it has a web interface that enables this functionality)?

Is the a case for preference for one method or the other?

Regards

ikon

I used to always set up static IPs directly on the devices, but now I do it using Reserved IPs on my DHCP server. My rationale is that, should the IP of my Default Gateway change, my devices will get the update automatically.l

• Like 2

oj88

I'm with ikon for the most part.

Except for the server, NAS, managed switch and APs.

ikon

oj88, I certainly don't find any fault with giving those devices actual static IPs on the devices themselves. That said, I have found using DHCP Reserved Addresses has worked very well. I was a little reluctant at first, but it's been fine.

Now, I'm not sure how I would feel about it in a large environment. I could see advantages and disadvantages.

oj88

In situations when a rogue DHCP server is accidentally connected to the network, I am assured that critical network components don't get swayed into getting the wrong IP address.

I know that's a bit far fetched but my comfort zone is that the four items I mentioned above stay put on their assigned static IP, no matter what. (Ie. DHCP goes down and I have to setup a temp one, etc.)

For everything else, especially the Roku players and other media playback devices that has to be configured with a different gateway to have VPN access to the US, I use static DHCP bindings.

ikon

Remember, if your DHCP server goes down, your clients should continue to run using cached values, hopefully until you can get DHCP fixed. But, doing what makes you comfortable is the most important thing IMHO.

jmwills

Yes, DHCP reservations are the way to go, and as a caveat, those devices will continue to work as long as you don't reboot them or the lease expires.

Poppapete

The simple reason I use the DHCP to reserve the IP's is so I can go there and see the list. I am so old I can never remember them so it's nice to see them in a concise list. I sincerely believe that the LAN works better with fixed ip's but I have no reason why this is so. My list consists of 12 devices which I am sure is not many compared with some. Interesting to find how many other have?!

• Like 1

Renny

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Seems that using DHCP on the router firmware is the way to go for most.

ikon

@Poppapete, your network won't run any better with fixed IPs. Once your clients obtain an IP address and related info from the DHCP server they operate exactly the same as if the info was set statically. One thing you can do to reduce overhead a little bit is to set a long lease time (I have mine set to around 7 months). Doing this means your clients don't have to renegotiate their IP info as often as they would if you use the normally very short default times. Often, the default lease times are set to hours or a few days. I think this is ridiculous for a home setup - I can't think of a single good reason for using such default values at home.