RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
dvn

Home network config > double-NAT and more...

dvn

I'm checking into someone's home network, set up by people paid to do that sort of stuff. I'll describe what they did, and I really want to hear how you think they did or didn't mess this up, but what I'm mostly wondering is whether there might be good reasons for any of the things they did.

This is what I see: 

1. Basically, they set up a Time Warner Cable wireless modem/router (Ubee) and came out of the LAN side to feed the WAN port of a Luxul wireless AC router. Both are doing DHCP. Double NAT, right? 

2. They also 'hid' access to the admin page of the TWC device by assigning the same IP address to each device - 192.168.1.1.  That means anyone on the LAN side of the Luxul can never access the TWC device's admin page, unless they first thought to change the Luxul's IP to something else. Let's ignore for the moment that someone could connect to the wireless AP of the the TWC device and get in that way, or that they could also grab a cable and stick it in a LAN port on the TWC device which is the basement.

3. They set all SSID's on the Luxul to the exact same name and password. No way of telling (for the average home user) whether they're connected to 2.4GHz or 5G, or whether they're on guest network. This to me is a complete mistake. No they weren't trying to set up a remote AP, they simply named and pw'd every wireless connection the same on the Luxul.

4. Hahah... this one is kind of funny? Both devices 2.4GHz radios were using the same channel - 6. I'll set this to 1 and 11 and that'll be that. I was thinking about turning off TWC device's AP, but I probably won't. Maybe I'll set it to handle guest network w/ wireless isolation and let the Luxul handle the house. Thoughts on that?

So my question is this: Might there be reasons to deliberately set up a network this way? Maybe double-NAT makes the network more resistant to malware/ botnets? Just throwing that out there. Maybe 'hiding' the admin page to the TWC device is good because....? 

We've been doing CrashPlan backups between our servers for a few years. This new network config has borked that. I believe I can properly port forward the devices to allow our machines to see each other again. My thought here is that I would never think to double NAT my own household but now that I've encountered this, I'm wondering if there isn't a security upside to this. Thoughts? Thoughts on any of this? Thanks all!

ikon

I was a little confused by the reference to DHCP and NAT together. They're 2 different things. Having 2 DHCP servers doesn't mean double NAT. However, having the LAN port of the TWC router connect to the WAN port of the Luxul does mean double NAT.

I would not set up a LAN with 2 DHCP servers, so I would suggest shutting it down on the TWC. I don't think having them both enabled is a problem in this case because the Luxul would almost certainly be the one to answer any DHCP requests - it's just more of a cleanliness thing on my part.

I also don't really see a good reason to have double NAT. Perhaps others can offer some good reasons.

I would give the TWC and Luxul boxes their own IPs.

Hiding the TWC admin page just seems silly to me.

I agree with setting the TWC and Luxul APs to different wireless channels.

if you can set different IDs and passwords for each frequency range on the Luxul, I can't see any reason not to. However, if you do keep the wireless enabled on both boxes, I would make sure the IDs and Passwords for each frequency range are the same on both. I hope that's clear. That helps with handoffs between APs.

oj88

Short answer: This is typical workmanship of (no offense please) telco folks, IMO.

Long answer:

1. The double-NAT configuration was unlikely done with security as the reason. The more likely scenario I think is that they just put in the default values just enough to make it work. Double-NAT will definitely improve security but at a cost of having more network latency. But if you already have a good router/firewall, there's little reason to do double-NAT.
  2. I’d say about 90% of all consumer routers have 192.168.1.1 as the default LAN address. Again, they stuck with the defaults for most of the router configs. I don’t think it’s about hiding the TWC router.
  3. Whether or not assigning the same SSID on both 2.4 and 5 GHz band is a good thing or not, depends on personal preference. For me, I am not particular about who uses what band and this allows for a more seamless hand-offs between the two bands when reception on one band becomes a problem. But if you want to pre-assign wireless clients to a particular band, having unique SSIDs for either bands will be necessary. Again, this is left to personal preference. They probably deployed it like that because that’s the simplest way to do it. Non-techie users wouldn’t have to figure out which SSID to connect to, if there's only one.
  4. Again, they likely left everything in their default values.

It’s not unusual for telco people to deploy routers like this… less headaches for them and it’s usually up to the end user to customize the setup. The one you described is pretty much similar to how mine was deployed initially. But instead of having to do double-NAT, I configured the telco’s router to do Bridging (functionally, a DSL modem) and only enabled its WiFi for admin purposes (in a different channel and SSID) so I can check on DSL parameters such as SNR and transmission speed, etc.) from anywhere in the house.

dvn

I was a little confused by the reference to DHCP and NAT together. They're 2 different things. Having 2 DHCP servers doesn't mean double NAT. However, having the LAN port of the TWC router connect to the WAN port of the Luxul does mean double NAT.

Right. I was confused. Thanks for catching that. So to avoid double NAT, I configure TWC how?

If you can set different IDs and passwords for each frequency range on the Luxul, I can't see any reason not to. However, if you do keep the wireless enabled on both boxes, I would make sure the IDs and Passwords for each frequency range are the same on both. I hope that's clear. That helps with handoffs between APs.

I've heard this. It makes sense. I've also heard that not all mobile devices do handoffs well. But I think I'll add this to my configuration plan and see how it actually works for them.

Whether or not assigning the same SSID on both 2.4 and 5 GHz band is a good thing or not, depends on personal preference. For me, I am not particular about who uses what band and this allows for a more seamless hand-offs between the two bands when reception on one band becomes a problem. But if you want to pre-assign wireless clients to a particular band, having unique SSIDs for either bands will be necessary. Again, this is left to personal preference. They probably deployed it like that because that’s the simplest way to do it. Non-techie users wouldn’t have to figure out which SSID to connect to, if there's only one.

I'm glad I asked you guys. So what it looks like to me is that I should reset the SSIDs and pw's to the way they were initially - all with the same names and pw's. It makes sense for the average home user not to have to worry about what network they're connected to. I'm going to try this at my house to see how this auto-switching between same-named 2.4GHz and 5GHz APs goes. 

That said, I thought that mobile devices were supposed to do 'handoff' between differently-named APs depending on the stronger signal. That's why I set my 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs to different names, and logged into each so that my phone would be able to connect to either.  I've been under the impression that my phone jumps bands as one band's signal strength drops. I'm strictly wireless n in my home. Same name, same pw APs work better?

It’s not unusual for telco people to deploy routers like this… less headaches for them and it’s usually up to the end user to customize the setup. The one you described is pretty much similar to how mine was deployed initially. But instead of having to do double-NAT, I configured the telco’s router to do Bridging (functionally, a DSL modem) and only enabled its WiFi for admin purposes (in a different channel and SSID) so I can check on DSL parameters such as SNR and transmission speed, etc.) from anywhere in the house.

Ok. How would I go about bridging the routers? I'm only familiar with bridging as it relates to NICs in a PC. Which is doing what?

I'm tempted to leave DHCP on for both routers as it's my impression that it makes the network a little more secure. As long as I can deal with port forwarding both routers, the trade off in latency (throughput wouldn't be affected, right?) might be not be bad at all. But I don't know. I'm in uncharted waters, for me. Thoughts? Talk me out of it if you think I'm making a mistake?

Poppapete

I agree that the best thing to do with that setup is to bridge the ISP modem so that is is just that (only a modem). It shouldn't be to hard to find the model number and get a user manual. You may find that it can't be bridged.

Edit: A quick google search came up with this.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28428899-How-do-i-put-new-Ubee-modem-in-bridge-mode-

and this

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29247502-UBEE-DDW365-Bridge-Mode

ikon

Most ISPs these days will actually tell you how to put their router into Bridge Mode. I would give them a call.

DHCP enabled on both routers will not add to security. The only thing DHCP does is hand out IP addresses and other related info such DNS servers and Default Gateways. It is not involved in Port Forwarding or NAT.

dvn

Most ISPs these days will actually tell you how to put their router into Bridge Mode. I would give them a call.

DHCP enabled on both routers will not add to security. The only thing DHCP does is hand out IP addresses and other related info such DNS servers and Default Gateways. It is not involved in Port Forwarding or NAT.

lol.. I did it again. Once I get an idea in my head... I did actually mean to say NAT.  

So putting the wireless modem in bridge mode defeats NAT? Is that how that works? 

Poppapete

So putting the wireless modem in bridge mode defeats NAT? Is that how that works? 

It becomes a bridge just passing the data through to another device, it does nothing with it after it has acted as a modem.

ikon

As Poppapete said, in Bridge Mode it just passes data back and forth. Basically, putting the router into Bridge Mode takes it out of Router Mode. Since it's no longer a router, it can no longer do NAT.

dvn

As Poppapete said, in Bridge Mode it just passes data back and forth. Basically, putting the router into Bridge Mode takes it out of Router Mode. Since it's no longer a router, it can no longer do NAT.

Ok.

Another question? If I come out of the TWC and plug into a LAN port, I've effectively bypassed NAT on the 2nd router, right? If I don't involve the WAN port on the 2nd router, I've solved the double NAT problem. And I can shut off DHCP on one of devices;doesn't really matter which, it's only down to preference and perhaps features that one router might have over the other, right?