RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Difficulty Ejecting External Drive

awraynor

I used the IcyDock PATA to SATA external closures I bought from mrrosco and they work wonderfully with great build quality.

I am however having an issue within WHS itself. I backed up some folders I can "archive" and free up some space on my 495.

The issue is that the option to remove the drive is greyed out. I can just unplug it, but then I receive backup warnings.

Any ideas?

Did you designate this drive as a backup drive and add it to WHS? I have 1 drive in my WHS right now that was not added to the pool (I can still access it to transfer files) but in the Storage area it is grey.

• Like 1

I added it and designated it to backup shares only, not as a pool drive. I had about 200GB of files I wanted backed up, but that I don't need easily accessible on the WHS.

I copied them over to an old IDE drive and now want to remove it from the WHS, but that option is greyed out.

I'm in the middle of offloading 200GB of music, but I will try to reboot without the drive attached and see if that works?

I'd first try a reboot with it still attached.

Are you saying up top where is says ---- +Add | Repair | X Remove --- X Remove is grayed out?

Well I was able to eject the drive under the server storage tab. I guess I was a little confused and didn't make things clear. Under the computers and backup tab I can't remove the "servername" "computer" for the shares backup profile.

The server name will only show up in the Computer & Backup Tab if there are any drives that have been added as non pooled drives under the Server Storage Tab.

You need to remove ALL non pooled drives to remover the server name.

Or you could have drives physically installed in the server but have not added them to the pool. Here you will have access to these drive, but only from a Remote Desktop Connection. Not such a good idea.