RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
timbarrett

WD 6TB Red WD60EFRX in Gen 8

Danny

I'm wanting to find out if anyone has tried using a Western Digital 6TB Red drive (#WD60EFRX) in a Gen 8 MicroServer?

www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=810

I spoke with Greg Starks from HP this morning and he said that HP hasn't tried that drive yet. They only officially support 3TB drives.

(Page 3 on the Gen 8 Quick Specs sheet)

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04128132&doctype=quickspecs&doclang=EN_US&searchquery=&cc=us&lc=en 

Greg suggested checking this forum on homeservershow.com.

(Also, this is for a data drive, not OS drive).

Has anyone tried out the 6TB drive?

Thanks!

-Tim Barrett

NoGeekLeftBehind.com

I can confirm that the WD RED 6 TB work fine on my HP Microserver Gen8 (as a data drive, not OS drive)

Hey all, my first post.

Just wanted to add that I have 4 x 6TB WD reds NAS 3.0 drives in my Gen8 microserver running a raid 10.

Out of 6 drives overall, 3 failed. (Not complete failure, but predictive failure). The HP raid stack just said no and kept that big light on the front flashing amber. Anyway, had to send 3 back to WD in singapore.... cost me $60 in freight!! All replaced now and the server is happy with no errors.

I anyone else running a raid 10 with these? They are about half the speed of the toshiba 5tb 7200rpm drives. I know that they are a slower spindle speed... but they really are noticeably slower.

Oh dear how bad luck you are. I dont run raid 10 but raid 1 with my two RED 6TB, they're absolute fine.

Edited by Danny

Mid-Air

I'm running 4 x 6TB WD reds in my G8 Micro

Out of 6, 2 failed.

But after getting them replaced they are all good and been running for nearly 6 months now.

Edited by Mid-Air

GotNoTime

Out of 6, 2 failed.

I've had quite a few WD Red drives fail very early (within 1 month) on in the steep part of the bathtub curve. Once past that however, I've generally found them to be reliable.

paradox

Haven't heard about these failure rates with WD Reds, but I've got 4x 6TB ones in my G8 now and another in an external bay hooked up to it, about 3 months and 2-1 months old respectively and seem to be doing fine, but all they really do is idle waiting for Plex to pick a file from one and play that.

Edited by paradox

jmwills

I've had quite a few WD Red drives fail very early (within 1 month) on in the steep part of the bathtub curve. Once past that however, I've generally found them to be reliable.

That would indicate a manufacturing error with that particular batch.

GotNoTime

That would indicate a manufacturing error with that particular batch.

It was 6 drives of various sizes out of about 50 over 2-3 years. The ones that didn't die early have been rock solid since *shrug* I'm still happy to buy WD Red drives. I've always had them replaced by the retailer though so I've little experience of the recertified drives that you get back via warranty replacement.

LoneWolf

With the WD Reds I don't think that will be much of a problem.

While I don't think they run a lot warmer, some of the Red Pro line runs at 7200rpm.  I haven't seen any data though.