RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
timbarrett

WD 6TB Red WD60EFRX in Gen 8

radial14

Thank you for the comments about Green drives. Yes you are right, it is a consistent thread.

What is hard to gauge is number of failures vs successful working drives (1%? 50%?).

I have had good experience with WD drives generally. 

ikon

Just wanted to point it out before you bought more of them. You could still use WD Reds for your other 2 drives. They are slightly more costly, but only slightly.

Mid-Air

Hey all, my first post.

Just wanted to add that I have 4 x 6TB WD reds NAS 3.0 drives in my Gen8 microserver running a raid 10.

Out of 6 drives overall, 3 failed. (Not complete failure, but predictive failure). The HP raid stack just said no and kept that big light on the front flashing amber. Anyway, had to send 3 back to WD in singapore.... cost me $60 in freight!! All replaced now and the server is happy with no errors.

I anyone else running a raid 10 with these? They are about half the speed of the toshiba 5tb 7200rpm drives. I know that they are a slower spindle speed... but they really are noticeably slower.

• Like 1

ikon

Surprising to hear that half your Red drives had to be replaced. That's a pretty bad failure rate. Good to hear that WD replaced them without issue, except for the shipping cost of course. :(

I'm not surprised there is a noticeable performance difference compared to the Toshibas. The RPMs do matter. Reds weren't designed to be the fastest; they're supposed to be reliable (hmmmm), quiet, low vibration, and low power.

schoondoggy

Hey all, my first post.

Just wanted to add that I have 4 x 6TB WD reds NAS 3.0 drives in my Gen8 microserver running a raid 10.

Out of 6 drives overall, 3 failed. (Not complete failure, but predictive failure). The HP raid stack just said no and kept that big light on the front flashing amber. Anyway, had to send 3 back to WD in singapore.... cost me $60 in freight!! All replaced now and the server is happy with no errors.

I anyone else running a raid 10 with these? They are about half the speed of the toshiba 5tb 7200rpm drives. I know that they are a slower spindle speed... but they really are noticeably slower.

How long did you have the drives before they started failing? Were the original drives packed well? Why did they have you  send them to Singapore? 

ikon

Thanks schoondoggy. I forgot to ask how long the drives worked before giving indications of issues.

Shonk

The performance takes a real nose dive at the tail end of the drive

I cant even saturate my lan on the last 30% of the drive

The lan is good for 116 Meg a second Drive is worse case 79 Meg

Was expecting it to keep up with my 2 year old 3tb drives due to platter size performance gains

18_November_2014_06_01.png

2 Year Old ST3000DM001

18_November_2014_06_05.png

2 Year old USB drive (Toshiba DT01ACA300)

17_November_2014_23_48.png

schoondoggy

If you pull the datasheets on these drives, I think you will find your numbers are accurate. The Seagate and Toshiba drives are 7200rpm, the Red is 5400rpm. The Seagate is still one of the highest transfer rate drives made. The Reds were not designed to be the fastest drive.

• Like 1

Shonk

I know the speed is about right

what im saying is the jump to 1.2tb platters compared to 1tb platters in the seagate and toshiba

usually makes up for the rpm difference

ikon

Agreed schoondoggy. If you're strictly looking for the fastest drives I guess it's OK to compare drives in this manner but, in general, I'm not sure it's really fair to compare drives of different rotational speeds when comparing performance.