RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New Gen8 owner thanks to you guys

daffy82

Hallo everybody.

Thanks to the many informative threads about the Hp Microserver Gen8 on this forum I decided to get one myself.

This will be coming in to morrow:

Intel Xeon E3-1265 LV2 - Box

2.110,00 kr.

2.110,00 kr.

HP ProLiant MicroServer Intel G1610T

2.456,00 kr.

2.456,00 kr.

Samsung 840 EVO SSD - 250GB

889,00 kr.

889,00 kr.

WD Red NAS HDD - 3TB

849,00 kr.

849,00 kr.

Kingston HP RAM PL316E - 8GB

897,00 kr.

897,00 kr.

Privat med omdeling 5-20 kg

59,00 kr.

59,00 kr.

Arctic Silver 5 kølepasta (3.5gr.)

98,00 kr.

98,00 kr.

Im so excited :) you guys know how it is!

Im a little torn between ESXi or 2012R2 - the latter would probably be easier for me since I know the drill here.

My plan is to install OS on the SSD which is connected at the ODD SATA port. And then use the 3TB as storage and datastore for VMs.

Does anyone know how many VMs this beast can handle? I know it depends on what the VMs will be doing. I am hoping I can run a Minecraft server (feed the beast with mods) and a CS:GO dedicated server. Am I able to do this?

Best Regards

PS. Does anyone know an working active cooling solution to the Gen8?

• Like 2

I have a microserver with same specs except HDDs (no SSD) - and it's running fine a MS Hyper-V 2012 R2 with 6 VMs - Active Directory, VPN, TeamCity CI server, git server (linux), a small minecraft server for personal use and an always-on workstation for downloads and experiments. Using Hyper-V dynamic memory it still has free ~6-7GB RAM, CPU is mostly idling and power usage is ~30 watts (as shown by UPS). For a minecraft server you would rather run out of RAM than exhaust the CPU performance.

I have investigated lots of information about an active cooling solution for CPU - but the problem defaults to a non-standard cooler mounting - 75x65mm, while standard LGA1155 has 75x75mm. Would be interesting if someone could try to craft custom mounting brackets for some universal low-profile cooler.

• Like 1

Welcome.

I'd be torn here.  If you use a hypervisor in your workplace, I'd choose the one you use there for experience.

However, if it didn't matter for that, I'd probably be tempted to do ESXi 5.1U2 for home.  I find it less quirky.  Hyper-V works, mind you, there's just bits and pieces I find more annoying.  In a work environment, I'd put up with those in return for the low, low, price of free.

Edited by LoneWolf
  • Like 1

I've done this for Supplemental Cooling..........

WP_20140516_17_41_26_Pro__highres_Crop.j

More descriptions of what I did in http://homeservershow.com/supplemental-cooling-gen8-microserver-p222.html

Check the Forums -- lots of discussions on CPU supplemental cooling........

Right now I'm preparing for the Meetup and am running Win8.1Update Pro Hyper-V on my Gen8 and have loaded 9 VM's though these are all for testing and are taxing the CPU very little........... 

Most of my VM's I've been sloppy and assign them 2 or 3G of RAM at startup but with dynamic memory they usually settle down at a lower level though I was doing some updates last week in Serenity and she grabbed over 8G for awhile.

gallery_1229_67_198714.jpg

Edited by Joe_Miner

Thank you guys.

Joe_Miner - that cooling solution looks amazing! 

I have a couple of HP BL460c G6 laying around. They have 12 sticks of 8GB RAM modules in them. Perhaps I can use the RAM from the blades to my Microserver.

The model of the RAM is: M393B1K70BH1 - CH9Q1. I do think these are ECC registered. Does anyone know if they will work in the microserver? 

Awesome build - I am also hovering with regards to buying a Gen8 or waiting to see what Gen9 might have in store and then deciding.

Almost pulled the trigger last night as eBay had the 15% off deal and with some Gen8 microservers going for $468 that would have been knocked down to $398. Rightly or wrongly, I have gone down the path of waiting and seeing what eventuates (at least for the time being).