RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen 8 Raid ticking HDD

mind12

Hello Everybody,

I have the G1610T model with 10 GB RAM, and
4 drives in raid:
- SSD in the ODD bay attached to port 5 in RAID 0,
- 1 TB Samsung HDD attached to port 4 in RAID 0,
- 2 X 3 TB WD RED attached to port 1,2 in RAID 1.

I installed ESXi 5.5 (HP specific image) to an internal USB drive and I run two VM's on it.

My problem is that one of my WD Red drives is ticking in completely random intervals (about twice in every 15 seconds, sometimes silent for hours).
On other forums most of the topics state this behaviour as a drive failure, but my drives are two weeks old. Checked ILO all is healthy and green, checked ESXi host health status (installed HP CIM providers),  all OK. ACU diagnostic didn't state any problem.
With further reading, I supposed that this is "the head parking issue" of the WD Reds so I tried to get SMART information from ESXi CLI but the B120i gives me "Error getting Smart Parameters: CANNOT open device" output. 

Let me mention that, the disks are not highly loaded.

Without destroying the RAID 1 array how can I get SMART on the disks?

Did anybody experience this behaviour or have any idea how to proceed troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance!
mind12

My experience with Reds is that they either they're DOA or soon after arrival, or they run for a long time. If you have a drive exhibiting the 'click of death' I would look to get it replaced very soon.

My experience with Reds is that they either they're DOA or soon after arrival, or they run for a long time. If you have a drive exhibiting the 'click of death' I would look to get it replaced very soon.

Of course I have a guarantee on them, but how could I make my guarantee approved if the drives doing fine except the ticking noise?

How should I know if its the click of death or something else?

I should get SMART data to exclude the "head parking issue", but I cant get it right now.

What happens if I remove one drive from the RAID 1 array and connect it with a SATA connector to my notebook to get the SMART data?

May I lose my array after doing so? I have live data on the disks. Do you have any experience with this?

I haven't done it in a long time, but I have removed a drive from a mirror in the past. Typically, what happens is that the system tells you that the mirror is 'broken' and then continues on as a standalone drive. If you plug in a replacement drive, you can normally tell it to rebuild the mirror.

Why not try this: shut down the system, remove the ticking drive, plug it into a USB HDD dock on another system, and get the SMART data that way. Do NOT power up the server until the ticking drive is moved back.

Now, to the biggest question: where is your backup? In case you're thinking that a mirror is a backup, it is NOT.

I haven't done it in a long time, but I have removed a drive from a mirror in the past. Typically, what happens is that the system tells you that the mirror is 'broken' and then continues on as a standalone drive. If you plug in a replacement drive, you can normally tell it to rebuild the mirror.

Why not try this: shut down the system, remove the ticking drive, plug it into a USB HDD dock on another system, and get the SMART data that way. Do NOT power up the server until the ticking drive is moved back.

Now, to the biggest question: where is your backup? In case you're thinking that a mirror is a backup, it is NOT.

I assumed (in BIOS if I try to change the controller mode to SATA it tells that the data will be lost) that if I connect a RAID drive to a computer somehow Windows mess up the RAID file system. I didn't have any experience with this.

The backup is on the 1TB Raid 0 Samsung drive, I know that a mirror is not a backup :)

Regarding that I dont have any simpler option I will try the HDD dock tomorrow. In the worst case i have to rebuild my array.

Thanks for your comments, I will check back if I have something.

Yes, I believe your array will be toast if you change modes in the BIOS.

If you connect a mirror drive to another computer you should be able to read it. The process might make the drive a non-mirror drive, but the worst case is you connect the drive back up to its home system and rebuild the mirror. As long as you have a good, up-to-date backup, you're pretty safe, cause you can always get the data back.