RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

RAID card cooler?

Jason

Am running an Adaptec 7805 hardware RAID card in my WSE12R2 server with 8 WD Reds in a RAID6 array. Works great. Though during peak summer my card temps went into critical temp range. Took side of my Fractal Design XL case off for better flow. It helped somewhat.

Am building new home and plan to put my server in a closet in a central, cooler location of house. Also installing a ceiling exhaust fan with a thermostat to kick on when closet temps spike. Fan will vent exhaust up into attic.

Would like to add either a PCI slot cooler OR some sort of VGA card cooler adjacent to my RAID card in prep for moving the server.

Does anyone have any recommendations of stock coolers? Would prefer not to DIY/invent but purchase from newegg. Will also need a Y-adapter to connect to run 2 fans off an existing motherboard fan power connector since they're currently all being used.

Thanks!

one suggestion that I have used in the past

antec's  spot cooler 

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Spot-Cool-SpotCool-System/dp/B000I5KSNQ

A few years ago,  used this on a sempron powered  box -   the cpu fan went bad and couldn't find a replacement

Staples carried this and it worked.  

a home brew option could be devised, -  using metal strip/brackets and an existing cooling fan   

another way to handle  -  cut a hole in the computer case directly above the raid card and install a fan blowing directly over the card.  Some cases already have  fan mounts on the side. 

depends on the placement. 

Something like this may work:

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-MF08CESWW-Portable-Conditioner-Control/dp/B00B2BSXS2/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1410801506&sr=8-13&keywords=Very+Small+Air+Conditioner

Though 8000 BTU? Overkill probably. Just put a shelf in there, put it on the top shelf, vent going to attic, and you're set.

Well, other than energy bill. But set the thermostat to like to a bit higher, and you're set.

My WSE12R2 runs cool - Ivy Bridge CPU and WD Reds at least. Only the RAID card w passive cooling gets hot. Going to try adding a 140mm intake side fan to my Fractal Design xL full tower and an Antecedent spot cooler aimed at the card. Just create some more air flow. Can only help. Not sure I like the idea of putting an AC unit in a closet w condensation/water?

Yes. Just a matter of having somewhere to dispose of it. And this particular model seems to recommend only a 3 FT condensation hose distance. Prob meant to be near a sink, drain or window.