RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My Router is better than yours:Sophos or pfSense

Poppapete

After watching this show (and the threads in the forum over the last few months) I am going to have a go at Sophos. I tried pfSense and Untangle 2 years ago and ended up with UT. I did not have the patience (maybe the smarts) for pfSense. The GUI does look better and I am paying a bit for the antivirus on UT and plenty more if I want to add more racks. So I have ordered the hardware today. Probably overkill but after buying hardware for 30 years I found you get into less trouble with overkill.

1 x Supermicro SYS-5018D-MF ( a 1U Case and MB Combination)

2 x Kingston 4GB of DDR3 1600 ECC

1 x Samsung 120GB 2.5" SSD 840 EVO Basic Series 

1 x Intel Xeon E3-1230V3 3.30GHz 8MB 4C LGA1150

I will try to load the iso via a USB which does not appear to be easy with Sophos and then reread Drashna's blog:

https://drashna.net/blog/category/networking/

I should add that I am 110% satisfied with UT but that's what we do, try something else.

Definite a bit on the overkill side. :) 

But then again, if you're going to be doing QoS, Web Filtering, and Antivirus scanning, then the more resources you throw at it, the better it will perform overall.

However, that board has IPMI.... You could enable that and just load the ISO over the network.
But yeah, Kevin posted comments on how to get a flash drive to work:

• When you get to the black screen from your first screenshot, type ‘Alt+F2′ on your keyboard. This will switch to a console window.
  • In that console window type ‘mount /dev/sdb1 /install’. This mounts the pendrive to the /install directory so the installer can find the files.
  • Last step is to type ‘Alt+F1′ to get back to the black screen from your first screenshot and continue the install as normal.

Also, absolutely. Have to tinker till it's perfect. And then tinker some more!

And I'm glad to hear that people are getting use out of my blog posts. :)

Drashna isn't satisfied until he tinkers with something until it breaks :D

Damn right! :)

You don't know the limits until you break it. Repeatedly.

Can you see any problem with setting the Sophos box with same ip as the UT box then just unplugging the UT from my LAN then plugging in the new Sophos?

I can think of 2 things to watch out for:

1. making sure the new router gets an IP properly from your ISP;
  2. ensuring all your client computers transition to the new router properly. Perhaps it would be a good idea to shut down all the computers in your house and boot them back up after the new router is up and has good Internet connectivity.

Thanks. Good advice. I have 2 different external IP's at present so I figure the ISP will allow me to unplug one box and when I plug the new one in it will assign a new external IP. I will report back if and when I get Sophos up and running.