RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Secure file/data transfer?

Jason

When transmitting secure data online for legal, loan application, etc purposes how does everyone recommend doing this? Particularly when the recipient isn't very technical or favors email.

Though I don't do this often, each time it occurs I'm convinced there are more convenient and secure methods...

Right now I tend to zip the documents, name them something obscure then host them on my own WebDAV server (HTTPS). From there I provide a hashed hyperlink via email. Obviously the password not included in same msg with hyperlink. The server requires a password for the email recipient to download the file. I then communicate this random password either via voice or TXT. Once they confirm receipt of Zip file, I delete it from the server.

It feels like a fairly secure method....

My company set up a brickftp account. Simple web interface for users can use secure FTP for transfer and meets hippy requirements. Runs off of AWS

You mean for a cloud storage sort of solution, so you can share the link to somebody?

Have you tried OwnCloud?

No, never heard of owncloud. Does it run under WSE12R2? Just want to be able to send someone a link to secure data then delete the data or have it expire w/o requiring them to know much more than how to use a web browser. May be asking a lot.

OwnCloud is a PHP software package, so yes, you can run it on WSE. Though, I'm not sure about the expiration part.

yes, you can share files from OwnCloud and have them expire.

OwnCloud lets you share the files with a user, or email a link. The link is hashed, so you can't tell what is being shared. It also can be password protected, the link emailed to somebody, and an expiration date set. 

Additionally, there is an option to force SSL for the site, or you can use IIS and the URL Rewrite package to force this manually (this is what I do for my ENTIRE server).

And is it horrible that I've had owncloud installed and configured on my server for months, and I'd forgotten about it? 

Edited by Drashna (WGS)

I have to look into owncloud.  I was also looking for something like this.

Its amazing how lapse company's are with transferring highly important documents still these days.  Recently I was asked to email documents that included things like bank statements, my SIN and other really secure documents.  I called the person up and had to give them an earful about security.  But I'm sure there were many before me that had just emailed them everything like this.

Just amazing.

My financial advisor was like this when we first started with them - still is I think. I encrypted some documents to email to them using a password that was about 10 characters. When I got past 4 characters, the secretary said, "There's more?". I patiently explained the importance of security, but I could tell she wasn't entirely convinced.

• Like 1

Ikon - glad it's not just me then. From what I'm hearing, sounds like my method isn't terrible. Though I can't control the data once it leaves my hands, I feel better at least knowing I hosted the data and it's not out sitting in the cloud.