RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
ronanmagee

Securing Icy Dock MB971SP-B in N54L

ronanmagee

All,

Has anyone had an issues securing the Icy Dock MB971SP-B in the vacant CD Rom bay of an N54L?  I've installed it successfully and located the 2 mounting screws on each side of the unit (which means it clicks in place when slotted into the N54L) but there is still some give ... approx 5 - 7 mm in travel which doesn't seem right.

I thought it would be a tight fit with no give/travel.

Anyone have to fit external brackets?

Ronan

P.S. I'm also using a crucial CT256MX100SSD1 256GB MX100 SATA 2.5 Inch 7mm SSD and for the life of me the front eject button will not force the drive out ... I end up giving it a little extra help by pushing from the rear.

• Like 1

Joe_Miner

Thanks for posting Ronan -- With my DuoSwaps they've been relative solid but maybe someone else has had your experience -- 5-7mm seems pretty significant.  Hopefully someone else has some ideas on what's going on or what a good solution would be.  

Do you have the top cover on the N54L -- that would provide more "rigidity" IMO which would help.

I have had the same problem as you with the 7mm SSD's being difficult to eject -- the older 9mm SSD's are no problem in it -- but the newer Corsair's and Samsung's that I have I sometimes have to give it a little "assist".

ronanmagee

Thanks Joe,

That's good to know RE: the 7mm difficulties you had.  I have an adapter that will increase the drive to 9mm so I'll try that see if the drive ejects any smoother.

Obviuosly the 5mm - 7mm lateral travel in the icy dock is frustrating.  To confirm I do have the N54L cover on but movement still exists.

ikon

I can't help thinking there must be a way to install a block behind the adapter, to prevent it from moving.

ronanmagee

Good news on one front, with the adapter placed on the under side of the drive it now moves freely in and out of the caddy.  Pic attached for anyone wanting to know what it looks like.  I assume you can purchase these for any drive so if you have a 7mm SSD it might be worth looking into.

Now just to sort out the movement issue.

photo.JPG

Edited by ronanmagee

news70

sorry to be off topic, what additional cable is required for this dock ?-- I have a N54L too.

thanks,

news70

Thank you ronanmagee!

Cheers

news70

BTW, do you have to reflash modified bios? I have n54l with latest stock bios running windows 2012

ronanmagee

News,

That depends on what you want. In order to use the eSata port at full speed then yes you need to flash.

It's very simple & the link I sent has all of the details thou I think some of the links to the software have expired so I did a quick google to find alternatives.