RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Jason

Ethernet cable tester?

ikon

I can't speak to the others, but I would be careful about using iPerf/jPerf. I have used them extensively in the past and, after getting some funky results one day, I did some in-depth testing of them and found them to be unreliable. I then did some research online and found not only that my findings were not unique, but that there were other issues I hadn't run into.

I need to caveat this by saying that this testing took place around 2010. I can't say how iPerf/jPerf performs today: i.e. it may have improved considerably. I'm only saying you should exercise caution.

Jason

Have an On-Q structured wiring panel where I plan to punch down my Cat5E wiring. Adding 2 x 12 port Cat5E panels and another 8 port coax passive splitter for TV.

Was hoping to mount my 24 port gigabit switch in the panel too if possible. What do you all use to do this - double-sided tape? Or screw into wall outside of the panel?

ikon

Mine's in a generic 19" wall-mount rack. My switch is rack-mountable so it's not a problem. I also have 19" rack-mount shelving for non-rack-mountable devices.

Jason

Would you mind linking to your wall mount rack and shelving unit? Turns out my TP-LINK 24 port switch came with rack mount brackets. Thanks.

ikon

They're generic, so I can't give you a link. I would search eBay or Amazon for 19" rack mount hardware.

schoondoggy

They come in a variety of sizes. I usually skip the structural wiring panel and put everything in a 19" rack.

I like these for openframe:

http://www.lowvoltagecables.com/12u-open-wall-mount-frame-rack-with-hinge.html?gclid=CIT879LTlsECFQwpaQodZiUA4w

these for enclosed:

http://www.racks2you.com/product_detail_31780.aspx?gclid=COn27JPUlsECFYZzMgoduFYA5g

ikon

schoondoggy, why do you not use a patch panel?

ikon

I do, I just mount it in a rack rather than using the structural panels.

Ah. The structured cabling installations I've worked with use 19" racks, mostly open frame, for the patch panels. Perhaps I'm unfamiliar with the structural panels you're referring to.