RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

10TB drives and WHS2011

gibster

Hi.

With new harddrives up to 10TB coming out now will we be able to use these with WHS2011? Also what about hardware limitations, such as will the Gen8 Microservers be able to use these type of drives to their full capacities?

Thanks and Cheers :)

gib

Honestly, can't see why they wouldn't work. The big thing was getting past the 2TB barrier. Once that was done (using GPT/UEFI), the next barrier is some ridiculously large drive capacity that none of us is ever going to need.

Also, if you want to use server backup.... partition it into chunks smaller than 2040GB (that's the limit for the volume size that Server Backup can backup).

@Ikon: I download a LOT. And more importantly, I automatically download TV shows. In HD. Takes up a LOT of room. Rapidly. Also, dumping pictures from wife, and using Folder Redirection. All of these use up a lot of space.

Also, while the cloud is becoming more and more viable.... Nope. Not going to happen. I only use it for simplicity, because it's cheaper than buying fiber optic internet where I live.

Thanks for the info guys. Still debating on whether to upgrade to 2012 Essentials or not. Running out of room on my EX495 with 4 2TB drives so looking to upgrade hardware also.

@Ikon: I download a LOT. And more importantly, I automatically download TV shows. In HD. Takes up a LOT of room. Rapidly. Also, dumping pictures from wife, and using Folder Redirection. All of these use up a lot of space.

Even if you downloaded 24/7 for the rest of your life, I'm not sure you could use up 18 Exabytes, which is the maximum GPT disk size. :)

Even if you downloaded 24/7 for the rest of your life, I'm not sure you could use up 18 Exabytes, which is the maximum GPT disk size.

Maybe, but I'll try. :P

Also, that's assuming no growth in internet speeds. Or local content creation. :)

Jeeze, 18 EB, wonder if I'd have enough room for all my DVDs and CDs.. LOL

On another note... How is everyone liking Server Essentials 2012? Worth the upgrade? Maybe I should post this as a new thread?

Cheers

gib

Not to mention, what would you do with 18 EB of data? How could you keep track of it, when would you look at or watch it? I think there comes a point where enough is enough.

Meticulously. I'm a bit OCD about organization. And by a bit, I mean very.

I haven't watched half the stuff that is on my server. A lot of it is "just to have" or to watch/listen to "eventually". 

And a lot of it is because I share my server with friends.

Jeeze, 18 EB, wonder if I'd have enough room for all my DVDs and CDs.. LOL

On another note... How is everyone liking Server Essentials 2012? Worth the upgrade? Maybe I should post this as a new thread?

Cheers

gib

You could rip everything to ISO's for flac, and not have to worry about space. :P

And a for Server 2012R2 Essentials? Absolutely love it and highly recommend it.

Doesn't have nearly as many issues as WHS2011, when it comes to backup and restore, IMO.

Meticulously. I'm a bit OCD about organization. And by a bit, I mean very.

I haven't watched half the stuff that is on my server. A lot of it is "just to have" or to watch/listen to "eventually". 

And a lot of it is because I share my server with friends.

You could rip everything to ISO's for flac, and not have to worry about space. :P

And a for Server 2012R2 Essentials? Absolutely love it and highly recommend it.

Doesn't have nearly as many issues as WHS2011, when it comes to backup and restore, IMO.

Thanks for the reply, looks like I'll be doing an upgrade to 2012R2 Essentials then when I upgrade the hardware.

Cheers

gib