RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New Intel D525 1.8GHz Atom chip released

Citezein

It looks like this might be the chip for my new Vail WHS. I've been delaying building a new WHS machine for a while, debating between the Atom and Core i3 platforms like everyone else. Right now I'm leaning towards this new D525 Atom chip with DDR3 memory for the server and building a Core i3-based HTPC. It's still a tough call though, so I'll have to see how the pricing looks. Anything will be better than my power-sucking P4 I'm currently using though.

Here's a link to the article about the Atom chip: http://www.liliputing.com/2010/06/intel-atom-d425-d525-nettop-processors-now-shipping.html

Wow..another option for me? Any idea when these will become available?

No idea, but if Intel really is shipping them as of a few days ago I'd imagine we'll see boards with them showing up in the next month or so. Since Vail isn't out yet, I'm not in a rush to build right now. First I'm going to focus on an HTPC.

Wow..another option for me? Any idea when these will become available?

Maybe....this is new as well..

Intel is now offering its fastest dual-core Core i3 laptop processor to PC makers including Dell and Hewlett-Packard, which are selling laptops with the chip.

The Core i3-370m will run at 2.4GHz and include 3MB of cache. HP's Pavilion dv6t is selling with the new chip inside.

Dell is offering the processor in the Studio 15 laptop in Mexico. Some other Dell stores in Asia-Pacific were listed as offering the chip with laptops, but the processor listing has been pulled from the Web.

The new processor is the fastest in the Core i3 group of entry-level chips in the line of new Core microprocessors announced by Intel in January. Intel also sells the 2.13Ghz Core i3-330m and 2.26Ghz Core i3-350m processors, and faster Core i5 and Core i7 chips.

The new chips offer quicker application and graphics performance compared to earlier Core 2 models because of technological improvements. The chips integrate the graphics processor and CPU into a single package, which helps improve graphics performance while consuming less power. The chip are capable of running two threads per core, which helps improve application performance.

TheGuy

• 1 month later...

This looks promising, but what has been an issue for me is often the lack of expandable motherboards for these chips. I'd like to see a motherboard for the D525 with at least 5 - 6 SATA connections and an eSATA or two out the back. For an HTPC I'd like to see an ION version with good audio/video support (e.g. 7.1 channel audio, HDMI, etc.). It was due to the difficulty in finding these types of options with current Atom chips that I ended up going with AMD chips for both my WHS and HTPC. They may not be the fastest, but they work quite well for my needs. They may use a little more power than Atom chips, but they were very reasonably priced.

This looks promising, but what has been an issue for me is often the lack of expandable motherboards for these chips.

They're tough to find, but not impossible. I've been seeing companies like Zotac and ASUS put out updated ION netops based on the D500 series, but no packaged motherboards as of yet. You can also dive into the embedded world for specialized hardware with more expandability. If you look hard enough, you'll find ITX boards with multiple netowrk ports for routers or multiple SATA ports for NAS appliances. If I stumble across anthing, I'll be sure to post it.