RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

remote control music in any room

tap_guy

I am buying a new home and i will have the WHS as the center of all my media. What I want is to put speakers in the master bedroom, office, living room, and kitchen. Then I would like to remote control which room the music is playing in with a master remote, or a app on my phone. The best would be to have this running on the home server since it is always on.

Any suggestions?

There are several routes you can go down, from real cheap to real awesome...

Check out:

Nuvo or Russound for whole home amplifiers and keypads for each zone. You can have them even show metadata from the songs and use an iphone for remote. If metadata isn't a big deal for you, check out HTD, they have great deals on multi-zoned amplifiers with keypads that don't have fancy LCD's.

Casatunesor Autonomic Controls (also does media center, but not cheap) - these are great software products that can control the songs in each zone (casatunes has a cool mce plugin as well).

Also Sonos- this is a popular platform as it's modular and you can expand a zone at a time, but it's pretty expensive for what you get in my opinion.

There are other routes using an apple airport express, or a logitech squeezebox, but I'm personally going to put in a Nuvo Grand Concerto in the house that I'm building.

Edited by wodysweb

Unfortunately cost is always a issue. The plan is to get a single set of speakers first and add more for different rooms in the house. I want to mount the speakers flush in the ceiling and run the cables back to my network closet with a network controlled tuner I am researching NuVo right now, I would love to build out a cheap proof of concept so I can get wife approval for the rest of the house with better quality equipment. If anyone has done this i would love know your setup.

Unfortunately cost is always a issue. The plan is to get a single set of speakers first and add more for different rooms in the house. I want to mount the speakers flush in the ceiling and run the cables back to my network closet with a network controlled tuner I am researching NuVo right now, I would love to build out a cheap proof of concept so I can get wife approval for the rest of the house with better quality equipment. If anyone has done this i would love know your setup.

Unfortunately, with Nuvo it's all or nothing for their whole-home amps. They do have the essentia e6g which is cheaper, and is energy star rated so that could be an option. I've also seen people buy a bunch of cheap 2 channel amps off ebay and then assign 1 to each room. The tough part there is controlling each of them at the same time. You'd have to use an automation system to do that, but it's doable. As for speakers, there's a thread on AVS that really raves about Monoprice's in-ceiling speakers as great performers for the price so I'd check them out when you're looking.

I am buying a new home and i will have the WHS as the center of all my media. What I want is to put speakers in the master bedroom, office, living room, and kitchen. Then I would like to remote control which room the music is playing in with a master remote, or a app on my phone. The best would be to have this running on the home server since it is always on.

Any suggestions?

I have SqueezeServer running on my WHS (HP Mediasmart), which obviously collects all my music on its own through the mediacollector. In various rooms, I have Squeezebox music devices: 2 Booms and a duet (the latter is hooked up to my main hifi in the living room). The duet comes with a controller that allows me to control all three players through WiFi - so I can even control the music playing in the bedroom while I'm sitting downstairs in the living room. The players can be synchronised (so they play the same music at the exact same time) or play independently and of course also play internet radio and podcasts (the home servershow for one). I think the setup is similar to the Chronos, but the prices are much more affordable. I like the fact that you can just add more music zones.

I'm a big fan (looking to buy an additional player soon for my daughter's bedroom) and think you should definately have a look at this...

Edited by DutchWHS