RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server Read/Write Speeds to Shares

GavinCampbell

I'm

You may want to check the tool you are using to measure, SSD's will not write at 1237MB/s.

I'm using LAN Speed test which I guess is mainly for LAN testing but can also test speed of writing files to a folder.  So that is why I included that anyways.  But I am sure the speed of the SSD is still much faster than the speed of the LAN so I don't know if that would be a problem.  On the drive pool that is much slower locally and reflects that on the speed.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GavinCampbell

• schoondoggy

• Drashna Jaelre

• ikon

GavinCampbell

Ok, I don't know if I trust this LAN Speed Test tool anymore.  I made some modifications to the server (Network Card, Turn off SMB signing) and now when I copy a file over I get this kind of speed.  This is more like what I was expecting.  Between the tweaks and not using the LST tool I think I got it.

File_Copy.jpg

GavinCampbell

Thanks for the link schoondoggy. I will give a few of those tools a try.

It looks like my work is not done though. When I copy a large file I get the speed I want. However if I copy a few small files the speeds fluctuate badly. Sometimes to a halt.

I'm going to have to take a look at it tomorrow again to see what's going on. My head is starting to hurt.

Drashna Jaelre

Ok, I don't know if I trust this LAN Speed Test tool anymore.  I made some modifications to the server (Network Card, Turn off SMB signing) and now when I copy a file over I get this kind of speed.  This is more like what I was expecting.  Between the tweaks and not using the LST tool I think I got it.

File_Copy.jpg

110MB/s over network is a fantastic speed. Keeping in mind that the max theoretical speed of gigabit networking is 125MB/s, and that's not counting overhead.

Fluctuating speeds with many small files is to be expected. I'm not sure it should come to a complete halt, but somewhat erratic performance is normal from my experience.

GavinCampbell

110MB/s over network is a fantastic speed. Keeping in mind that the max theoretical speed of gigabit networking is 125MB/s, and that's not counting overhead.

Yup.. I'm extremely happy with that speed.  Its more or less what I was expecting to see.

Fluctuating speeds with many small files is to be expected. I'm not sure it should come to a complete halt, but somewhat erratic performance is normal from my experience.

Its really weird.. I was testing with a group of 500 meg files.  Its almost seems like it pauses for a bit whenever it finishes off one file.  Tried with a bunch of smaller files and was getting 80+ and it only seemed to pause for a bit when completing the copies for the large files (200 meg).  So maybe its just a buffer thing.  But looks like with all the tweaks everything is working really nice.

What is the OS on the client PC?

Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.  I always like to try from multiple locations to rule out anything like OS/Connections etc.