RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server Read/Write Speeds to Shares

GavinCampbell

Hi Guys,

Hopefully this is the right forum to post this.

I've been looking at the read and write speeds to my server and want to get some input as to what I can maybe do to increase them if possible.

First of all the server is running Server 2012 Essentials R2. My network is wired via GB Ethernet so the theoretical speeds should be 125 MBps (don't really expect to get this).  All computers have an SSD for the C: drive and my server also has Drivepool setup for the D: drive which is a MediaSonic ProBox with 4 Red drives on USB3.

I have been using LAN Speed Test to test my speeds which I find is very simple to use.

Here are some of the results I am getting (all in MBps).

From Server to Server:
  Local C: Hard Drive:    1237 Write 322 Read (Fast Enough)
  Local D: Hard Drive:    33 Write 33 Read (Expected, but may look into this later)
  Local Memory:        130 Write 162 Read (Fast Enough)
  Local C$ Share:    887 Write 300 Read (Fast Enough)
  Local D$ Share:    30 Write 40 Read (Expected)

From PC to Server:
  Local PC Hard Drive:  244 Write 207 Read (Fast Enough)
  Server Memory:    100 write 97 Read (Fast Enough)
  Server C$ Share:    27 Write 51 Read (Why so slow?)
  Server D$ Share:    15 Write 25 Read (Why so slow?)

So looking at the speed results I'm thinking the bottleneck is something with the network card as writing to the local disks or to memory over the network is more than fast enough.  I have tried two different network cards (Intel Pro and Realtek) with no increase in speed.

Any ideas or suggestions as to how I could increase my read/write speeds to network shares on the server?  My main focus is increasing the read/write speeds from the pc to the servers c$ and d$ share if possible.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• ikon

• GavinCampbell

• schoondoggy

What kind of switch are you using?

I have a netgear prosafe 24 port switch.  That I run both of these devices through.

Take a look at this link:

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/8335-before-you-post-media-stuttering-playback-issues-performance-irregularities/

It says for v1, but the network adapter stuff is still very relevant (aka, ignore the "DEMigrator" stuff)

Thanks Drashna,

Took a look and modified things as noted.  I did get a bit of an increase but not as much as I was expecting.  For example the read/write to the server memory are now averaging about 105.  The read/write to the shares also increased a bit by maybe 5 MBps.

Is it wrong to expect read/write speeds to my servers SSD to be 80 or above?  The network and SSD can handle it from the tests I am seeing.

Here is some data:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3656-network-performance-microserver-to-ex-487/

As long as the drive can sustain the data rate, I tend to expect a GB network to run 80-90MB/s.

Have you tried different cables?

What model is your Prosafe and does it have the latest firmware on it?

Its the Network ProSafe GS724Tv3.  I just checked and it doesn't have the latest firmware.

But would this affect the speed?  If the speed between the PC's are about 100 wouldn't that mean the network is pretty good (if theoretically it has a max of 125).

I'm just confused why the big drop in speed when I try to write to the share instead of to the server memory.  Especially since its an SSD that is more than fast enough.

My bad!

I missed that, you are correct.

What controller are you using to connect the drives and are you using the latest driver?

The SSD is connected via SATA3.  When I do a speed test to the local SSD drive 1237 Write 333 Read so I know its more than fast enough.

It only seems slow reading/writing to shares from another computer (I have tried two different computers also connected via GBE).

I'm thinking it must be a setting on the network card or something on the server that is affecting writing to drives over the network.