RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
yodafett

Apple has dropped icloud storage devices

yodafett

Ok so I know i'm in the minority here on my hackintosh and iOS love but can't stand Google and MS mobile offerings for the enterprise has been less than stellar.   That said along with the iPhone 6 and 6 plus and other goodies yesterday they also announced new storage plans for iCloud.    For me iCloud's purpose is that of ease of back up of the family mobile products.  I do not use it on the for any Desktop\Server data other than I have the iCloud connector sync the data from cloud onto my server that then dupes to the storage pool so pictures are backed up both in cloud and on server level.  The new plan puts it more in line with OneDrive though with a lower free offering of just 5GB.

iCloud provides the same measly 5GB for free that it has long offered, but has dropped the price for its 20GB plan to $0.99 per month, and added new 200GB, 500GB and 1TB plans for $3.99, $9.99 and $19.99 per month, respectively. Those charges represent annual fees of $11.88 (20GB), $47.88 (200GB), $119.88 (500GB) and $239.88 (1TB). - See more at: http://www.itnews.com/cloud-computing/83531/apple-reveals-new-icloud-storage-prices?source=ITNEWSNLE_nlt_itndaily_2014-09-10#sthash.Mz5RUBAt.dpuf

That said some we definitely point to iClouds recent photo security breach as a negative.  I say if you take any digital photos of yourself that you don't want others to see then delete them no one's data is guaranteed secured especially in the cloud that's why some of us made our own Cloud. 

• Like 1

ikon

I completely agree about not putting personal stuff in the cloud. It's a point I've been arguing for years. The one way I can see for making use of cloud storage is if the content is strongly encrypted. However, with the recent advances in quantum computing, I'm beginning to wonder if even that is safe.

awraynor

I run two hackintoshes at home. My kids (3 and 5) use Mountain Lion, wasn't ready to explain the Start Screen, tiles, charms, etc. to them ;)

I dual boot Win 8.1 and Mavericks on my desktop machine. I may switch to an iPhone next time given I can now use SwiftKey and have a 

larger screen? Will wait and see how the Yosemite unifying features work in the future.

As far as cloud storage they are still quite pricey compared to other providers which isn't surprising. Given their lack of maturity in cloud

services I will certainly not trust critical data to them.

There are some things  I like about both systems, and love the lack of fanboyism on this forum. 

yodafett

I totally plan to show up to the meetup with my new 6 plus

timekills

Does it come with free photo sharing to 4chan?

• Like 1

ikon

Does it come with free photo sharing to 4chan?

ROTFLMAO :D

awraynor

Yes. That was the one more thing.