RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows 7 client keeps dropping secondary DNS

WHS_Refugee

I have a Windows 7 laptop that acts as a Windows 7 Media Center, and since I joined it to the domain for WS2012R2, I have trouble retaining the DNS settings.  I have the IP address of my server as the primary DNS, and the first DNS address for Verizon FiOS as the secondary DNS.  I go into network settings for the adapter, set the addresses manually (I'm also using static IP), click Verify settings on exit, and everything looks good.  But, the next time it comes out of sleep, or reboots, the secondary DNS address (the FiOS address) is gone.  I don't have this problem with any other clients, including my other W7MC.

I suspect this is why my W7MC guide listings fail to download, because it can't get out.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks!

The computer is now part of a Domain. That means its DNS settings will be coming from the Windows Server. If you want it to get a specific Secondary DNS then add that IP to the server's settings, so it will send out the Secondary DNS with the rest of the settings..

Or set up your router to use the server as the primary DNS server, and the router (or your ISP provided DNS server) as the secondary. This should prevent the connector software from changing the DNS entries.