RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Jim's Build - Why wouldn't I just buy the hardware from Dell?

jcollison

PowerEdge T110 PowerEdge T110 Chassis with upto 4 Cabled Hard Drives edit

Processor Intel® Core™ I3 540 3.06GHz, 4M Cache, 2C/4T edit

Memory 2GB Memory (2x1GB), 1333MHz, Single Ranked UDIMM edit

Operating System No Operating System edit

OS Media kits None edit

OS Client Access Licenses None edit

OS Partitions None edit

Hard Drive Configuration Onboard SATA, 1-4 Hard Drives connected to onbaord SATA Controller -No RAID edit

Primary Controller No Controller edit

Additional Controller None edit

Hard Drives 160GB 7.2k RPM Serial ATA 3Gbps 3.5-in Cabled Hard Drive edit

Miscellaneous None edit

Power Cords Power Cord, NEMA 5-15P to C13, wall plug, 10 feet edit

$483 with Free Shipping - Could this be a good way to purchase an i3 box? From Dell

BTW...wrote this while I was recording show 96. Once you listen to the show, this will seem funny.

Edited by jcollison
  • Like 1

Prolly not keen on 160GB drives, but as long as I could use off the shelf parts to service it, it's not a bad idea. Even better, if I'm setting this up for a small business client, having the Dell badge helps legitimacy and with a warranty, I don't have to worry as much about servicing the hardware.

The 160 GB drive is just the cheapest one that comes with the build. I could up that to any size drive, just at an additional cost. Traditionally, Dell has not been competitive on hard drive prices.

I'll give you 5 reasons. :)

Antec BP550 Plus 550W - Modular Power Supply $59

GIGABYTE GA-H55N-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI USB 3.0 Mini ITX $104

Intel Core i3-530 Clarkdale 2.93GHz $114

Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 $57

LIAN LI PC-Q08B Black Aluminum Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case $129 <- Check this out. This is an awesome case. Holds up to 6 HDD's. Unfortunately, it's out of stock right now. :(

Total price: $489 - ($467 + $22 shipping)

• Like 1

DVN - Are you saying that those are all superior products to what I would get from Dell?

Guest no-control

DVN - Are you saying that those are all superior products to what I would get from Dell?

Absolutely!

I wouldn't use some of the parts DVN suggested, more out personal preference and experiance. Also there is an upcoming BYOB podcast using that case. Shhhhhh... <_<

These are my choices to mod DVN's suggested parts

PSU

RAM

CPU It basically a stripped down i3 plenty for a WHS box

Got to jump in on this one. There is no doubt that those components are better than standard OEM Dell and personally I would go that way. Than being said, if you do not want to build it yourself it not a bad deal and the system is agressively priced for an OEM. My experience with Dell is that they underscope power supplies (not to mention they are not the quietest in the world) and cheap out in other ways as well. I think the overall build quailty in Dell is a crap shoot. My employer buys only dells for laptops and desktops and we have our share of problems. In the end, I agree with dvn and no-control and if you want the best build quality then you have to pick your own components even if it is a bit more. So I cast my vote with the homebuild and skip on the dell.

Mostly, I'm saying I prefer the case. I like the small form factor. And except for the blue LED, which I could swap out or mayby disable, I really like the look of that case. That Antec PS is in 2 of my builds. Plenty of power for what I need, and it's modular. Decent price. RAM choice was simply based on Newegg reviews. My list would make a very solid WHS box.

*Go to the Lian Li web site and really check out the case. I think you'll appreciate it better.

I've looked at Lian Li cases in the past and like what I see. Maybe it's time to try the case? Good stuff to think about. Thanks for the info guys. Something WILL get purchased this weekend!

The original one you selected is out of stock again but is still an awesome option.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112265&cm_re=lian_li-_-11-112-265-_-Product

Here is another option if you have the room. I have 4 of these right now and for $99 (free shipping) it is tough to beat in a mid tower lian-li. There are other options but these are just outstanding. Build quality, low noise, vibration mounted drives, excellent cooling and hold 5 internal drives, and with their 5.25 card card adapter you can add three more drives. I have tried at least 30+ different MFG caases for overall price/quality/performance, it does not get much better.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112154