RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
scottbakertemp

pfsense packages?

ikon

There is something odd going on here. Why would all 3 licences be so different?

Poppapete

Maybe you just apply for another license after 3 years?

EDIT:

Just checked on the forums. This is in fact what you do.

"What you can do is to log into your license portal at my.astaro.com, go to License Management, delete your expired Home license, then generate a new one."

Also forums suggest you set the expiry date in your Calendar to do just that. Also make sure you are downloading the Home Edition and not a trail of the essential edition which has no 3 year license. You must register with Sophos and then you receive the license as an attachment in an email.

ikon

Sorta makes sense, although I don't really see the point of expiring a home edition licence.

Drashna Jaelre

My license file is missing all the options you show. That would explain why nothing works for me. Looks like the options are limited to three years. Does anybody know what happens after that?

Well, taht would definitely do it. And I'm not sure why that would even happen. Maybe the file got corrupted?

Sorta makes sense, although I don't really see the point of expiring a home edition licence.

Agreed. Would be simpler to put the expiration at 10 years.

Equinox

Sophos. Does most everything that pfSense can do, and does it in a completely turnkey manner. :)

I'll look into this also,thanks.

craney

Does sophos have openvpn interaction? Im thinking of trying either pfsense or sophos in one of my hyper v vms just to have a play with, could you run one of these along side a router?

Drashna Jaelre

I'll look into this also,thanks.

Check out https://drashna.net/blog/category/networking/ for more details about Sophos. 

Does sophos have openvpn interaction? Im thinking of trying either pfsense or sophos in one of my hyper v vms just to have a play with, could you run one of these along side a router?

Does it support OpenVPN?

No, not natively, but it supports SSTP, PPTP, L2TP, IPSec, Cisco VPN, and a custom HTML5 VPN. It has plenty of options except for OpenVPN.

And yes you could run this along side a router, however, this is meant to replace a normal router. Well, mostly. It doesn't support a wireless adapter. And a lot of the stuff won't have more than 2 NICs (the boxes that Sophos sells have anywhere between 2 and 20, depending on the model. As for wireless, you can repurpose a wireless router. Or if it has a "Wireless AP" mode... Or buy a wireless AP.

craney

Hi Drashna

Thanks for the above, not really played about with either sophos or pfsense before so fancied having a play around. From what i seem to be reading people seem to be favouring sophos, im sure there are plenty of guides out there on how to set up this so will have a google and see what i can find. I have a billion 7800n router which has been pretty solid for the last few years but have been tempted into the software router setup. How do you find it?

Thanks

revengineer

FWIW, if you need openvpn, smooth wall does support it with an add-on. I have used it for a few years and it works great. I never got this to run on my pfsense, but maybe I am just too dense.

Drashna Jaelre

FWIW, if you need openvpn, smooth wall does support it with an add-on. I have used it for a few years and it works great. I never got this to run on my pfsense, but maybe I am just too dense.

OpenVPN is a serious PITA.

If you're using Windows, then the SSL (SSTP) VPN is the best choice to go with (I really wish android supported it).

However, L2TP is a good option for mobile devices.

Hi Drashna

Thanks for the above, not really played about with either sophos or pfsense before so fancied having a play around. From what i seem to be reading people seem to be favouring sophos, im sure there are plenty of guides out there on how to set up this so will have a google and see what i can find. I have a billion 7800n router which has been pretty solid for the last few years but have been tempted into the software router setup. How do you find it?

Thanks

I absolutely love Sophos UTM. I've definitely gotten a reputation here for it already. :)

I get much more stable internet connection than with the linksys router I was using. (WRT610N)

Also, all the additional features are very nice. Include the web filtering option (Snort), which is basically set up for you. 

And the intrusion protection features are nice, as I do host a number of web services off of my connection. :)

Also, I do have a few guides on configuring Sophos UTM already:

https://drashna.net/blog/category/networking

I don't use the VPN options in Sophos, as I use Server 2012R2 Essentials, which has the option built in (and uses domain accounts for authentication, so much simpler to configure).