RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
scottbakertemp

pfsense packages?

revengineer

Not sure about IP Cop, the last time I looked at that was many years ago. But smoothwall is actually in the process of releasing a new version.

ikon

The IP Cop boys are/were people who worked on the Smoothwall team but became disenchanted with the direction Smoothwall was heading, so they branched off on their own.

Apparently, it's still around: http://www.ipcop.org/

revengineer

Looked at IP cop ten or so years ago and the interface was inferior to that of smoothwall. After listening to the podcast, smoothwall seems to be right between the complexity of presence and the easy to use sophos. It's free and not limited. There is a user community which develops add ons and answers questions. Maybe I need to be educated about what is so wrong with that software. Seems like nobody here is willing to touch it.

Edited by revengineer

scottbakertemp

The main reason i didn't even try smoothwall is because I noticed they've only put out one release in the past 3 years and it's a release candidate.

ikon

I'm not sure that there's anything wrong with Smoothwall. The biggest difference, I guess, is that Sophos is a commercial product (formerly Astaro before being bought out). The version being used by forum members is the free-to-use home version. While many people will point out the disadvantages to commercial products, one advantage is that a for-profit company has a financial incentive to support and improve their products.

• Like 1

revengineer

The main reason i didn't even try smoothwall is because I noticed they've only put out one release in the past 3 years and it's a release candidate.

If it works, it works, no need to release a new full version on a frequent basis. (Some of my routers have not seen a firmware updgrade in 3 years either.) Smoothwall has provided updates, 9 in total since the full release of SWE 3.0, number 10 is on the way, but so it SWE 3.1 (almost done). The mods are distributed through through the forum and updated as needed. As a matter of fact I just provided the 2.9.6.2 snort update two days ago.

revengineer

I'm not sure that there's anything wrong with Smoothwall. The biggest difference, I guess, is that Sophos is a commercial product (formerly Astaro before being bought out). The version being used by forum members is the free-to-use home version. While many people will point out the disadvantages to commercial products, one advantage is that a for-profit company has a financial incentive to support and improve their products.

Open or closed source I do not really care. But I am not willing to fork out cash for this. It's for my family not a company network and I do not have hundreds of $$$ for this available. The problem I saw with sophos was that I was immediately made aware of what does not work without paying $$$. In fact this information was so dominant and distracting in the interface that I lost my interest in what I do get for free. It's a very polished interface though, I have to give them that. Bottom line is that you can get the same features for free if you are willing to tinker a bit, but it does not have to be as taunting as using pfsense. The biggest reason why pfsense is frustrating is because the web interface is cluttered, too many settings on one page without relaying what they mean and how they are connected. Packages seem to be mostly beta and not all appear to be for the latest pfsense release. Maybe this explains why I never got HPAV to work. Well I take that back, I finally got the antivirus to work, but the dansguardian portion errored to the end trying to update the blacklists. Seriously, I got better things to do with my time.

Big Worm

Sorry but what does not work in Sophos without paying money?  It seems that the home edition gives you everything for free.  I like pfsense but their package support is just horrible as you mentioned.  So I run Untangle in bridge mode for those features.  But Untangle free edition is very limited.  And the price is just crazy for a home user.  So that is why I ask about Sophos.

revengineer

Sorry but what does not work in Sophos without paying money? It seems that the home edition gives you everything for free. I like pfsense but their package support is just horrible as you mentioned. So I run Untangle in bridge mode for those features. But Untangle free edition is very limited. And the price is just crazy for a home user. So that is why I ask about Sophos.

I will reload sophisticated on the weekend and let you know. Most importantly I will let you know whether smoothwall offer a free mod for this, which was what I was loosely claiming.

revengineer

Below is the list of features under licensing. Except for antivirus, it does not look like any of these work in the free version. Not even intrusion protection is working. Web filtering is extra too. So is VPN. All of these are features you can have for free with smoothwall (and pfsense if you can figure it out). This is not better than your dumb router. Sorry...

Network Protection
Exp. Date: not licensed
Description: This subscription enables the Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) incl. pattern updates, DoS/Flood Protection, SSL & IPsec based VPN and Remote Access, Advanced Routing, WAN Link Balancing and detailed Network Protection Reporting.

Email Protection
Description: This subscription enables mail filtering with dual antivirus incl. pattern updates, Reputation and Fingerprint based Spam Filtering, transparent Email Encryption (OpenPGP & S/MIME), End-User Quarantine Management and detailed Mail Usage Reporting.

Web Protection
Description: This subscription enables web traffic analysis with Virus and Spyware Filter incl. pattern updates, URL filter by Category, AD/eDir SSO Authentication, HTTPS filtering, Application Control and detailed Web Usage Reporting.

Webserver Protection
Description: This subscription enables protection of servers behind UTM from modern attacks and exploits. Keep your Web and Mail servers safe using defenses against Cross-Site Scripting (XSS), SQL Injection, Application Attacks, Cookie Tampering, and more. Webserver Protection supports standard HTTP and encrypted HTTPS (SSL) connections.

Wireless Protection
Description: This subscription enables Wireless Protection.

Endpoint AntiVirus
Exp. Date: 16 January 2038
Max. Users: 2 ( 0 licensed Users + 2 free Users )
Description: This subscription enables Endpoint Protection incl. Antivirus, HIPS and Device Control.

BasicGuard
Description: This subscription enables basic functions for Network, Email, Web and Wireless Protection. If you want to use more advanced functions in your UTM like RED, HTML5 VPN portal, Wireless Hotspot vouchers, two AV scanners, and others, you can easily upgrade to a fully featured FullGuard license via our MyUTM licensing portal.

Support Services
Type: Web Support » Standard Support » Premium Support
Exp. Date: never
Description: Web Support is included with every Base License.
Standard Support is included with the subscriptions.
Premium Support is a dedicated subscription and allows 24x7 access to the Sophos Support Team as well as upfront replacement of defective Hardware Appliances.