RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

HP ProLiant Gen9 MicroServer RUMORS

ikon

I think this is a basic difference in the markets. Home enthusiasts want the Gen8 to be more of a general purpose computer. Business wants a server. Since HP is clearly aiming the MicroServer line at business, it simply didn't make any sense to them to spend any money at all on a graphical subsystem. If enthusiasts want HP to make changes they want, they're going to have to make the case that there's enough of a market to justify the extra costs, that it's a market worth targeting. I'm not holding my breath :)

Joe_Miner

I like my iLO :)

ikon

I like my iLO :)

And I think the vast majority of corporate users would scream blue murder if HP told them that iLO was being dropped.

snapper

I'm sorry, but I can't see how that would benefit a SMB server - maybe on a workstation...

Ikon pretty much sums it up - this micro server is aimed at SMB. I'm sure HP have done their market research and found that investing in revised graphics for this segment won't produce a good enough return for their investment...

GotNoTime

How would you pay more money

There's a gpu sitting idle inside the cpu

which hp could quite easily pin directly into the output of ilo

Most Xeons don't have the integrated GPU so you'd still need to keep the G200 anyway and then use more die space for your VGA capture hardware. The reason why it is the G200 is because it is simple, has 2D acceleration and is still well supported by modern OSes.
  • Like 1

Gen8Master

HP uses the same iLO chips across the proliant range and the vast majority of these use Xeon chips which dont feature any iGPUs, so redesigning the chip just for the microserver (and some Ml310s) would make little sense.

rmccas

Well,

I have read some bits and bytes about hp policies and gen8

don't get me wrong im not defending HP policies what so ever but the fact is the GEN 8 is for small companies and for the price is selling i find it quite good. i bought one for about 120 pounds after cashback. 

Also the ILO is an enterprise feature which most of the normal people dont use it or don't know it and the adv license is DAMM CHEAP is you search on the right place...

I don't like HP policies but their servers are great and the new GEN9 are 100% 64bits. 

Regards

Rs

snapper

Found this today "Gen8 Special Server" wonder what it is:

http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/proliant-servers/product-detail.html?oid=6748320#!tab=features

And also someone from HP suggesting the G9 is going to be soon: http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-Netservers/HP-MicroServer-Gen9/td-p/6738322#.VWeLHs4k--I

I'm hoping for 32gb in the same form factor...

• Like 1

GotNoTime
It is just a Gen8 Microserver with E3-1220L Xeon but specific to the Asia-Pacific region. You get 4GB instead of 8GB and you get the ODD included. I assume the ASJ BU decided that was the best combination for their region at their price point.

Yeah. That isn't too surprising. HP start to discount the base price and also do larger rebates whenever a new Microserver is about to be released.

Trig0r

Will it be a new chassis or simply an evolution of the Gen 8 though....