RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

HP ProLiant Gen9 MicroServer RUMORS

HellDiverUK

Intel's AMT is better - it doesn't suck an extra 5W to provide 17 year old graphics (when there's infinitely better GPU in the CPU), another NIC to plug in, and KVM that only works until the OS boots unless you spend a fortune on a licence, and even then it's still a shitty Java app.  Intelligent Provisioning is anything but - it sets up some OS automatically and then fills it with a tonne of unused drivers and crappy management software that just sits there clogging up the OS.  There there's the totally gimped fan management that only works if you put the drives in RAID which means you can never, ever spin down the drives to save power.  Oh, and god help you if something goes slightly out of tolerance for a nanosecond, because it'll shut your machine down dead.  Yeah, thanks for that.

So, yeah, iLO is brilliant.  It's so good.  I wish every computer had it.  

Not. 

Trig0r

I like iLo, we can keep that...

I'm looking at upgrading my Gen8 given the 9 isnt about..

CPU, GPU, RAID...

Gen8Master

I heard that iLO will not be included in the next version. Hope its not true. HP are concerned that rivals will beat them on the cheapest boxes, so the gen9 should be cheaper but they will leave out the novelties.

Trig0r

It's not a case of cheaper for me, I would rather have something that ticks my boxes rather than it being cheaper..

yodafett

ilo is very useful at home reason I have 2 gen 7 and a 2 gen 8. I almost went to the ML310 micro for 32gb of ram. Got a deal on a t20 and while it is ok miss raid support for vm ware and ilo on it.

schoondoggy

I wonder, if they did drop iLo from the Gen9 MicroServer, maybe they would refresh the ML10 with iLo4 and B140i?

Shonk

Whilst i love ilo HP seriously need to wake up they are using a 17 year old graphics card

which is shocking for the computer industry

its running at 84mhz lol..

Its hardly rocket science to produce a new ilo chip that connects to the vga pinout actually on the motherboard

and pulls the from the onboard intel gpu

I suspect they made a few million of the ilo chips in 2005 or something

and are going to keep trucking untill they are all gone

with luck that will be soon..

they havnt even updated to drivers to support 16/9 screens

4/3 died years ago

Think about that for a second 17 years old

In 1997 my main pc was a Compaq Pentium 100mhz with 16mb of ram

Edited by Shonk

Ricimer

It's not just HP though, Dell still use the G200 for much the same reason, it's tied in with the idrac in the same way the HP is the iLO. It's cheap, low power and presumably has some advantage for KVM,

snapper

Whilst i love ilo HP seriously need to wake up they are using a 17 year old graphics card

which is shocking for the computer industry

Why do you need better graphics on a server?

Surely once configured, the console is not used very often?

e.g. ESXi console is just text mode.

Personally I would rather not pay money for graphics updates that are not useful for that machines role...

Shonk

How would you pay more money

There's a gpu sitting idle inside the cpu

which hp could quite easily pin directly into the output of ilo

after dev costs for a new ilo chip

ilo5 or whatever would cost hp less per unit

as the die real estate being taken up with the g200

will be free'd up so they would get more dies per wafer

That would be nice on my server..

pitty its going to waste disabled

http://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/architecture-and-technology/quick-sync-video/quick-sync-video-general.html

Edited by Shonk