RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

DVD Drive Caddy?

jimbojimbo

Hi Al,

Tried installing DVD drive caddy to empty bay in server (G2020T, server did not come with DVD Drive), when booting up the drive is not detected. Is there something I am missing? DO I need to do something in the BIOS to enable the on-board SATA?

The serer has HP Dyn Smart Array B120i, the drives in the drive bays are all fine...

Refer to attachment of setup...

optical-drive.JPG

Edited by jimbojimbo

Okay, I'll ask the dumb question.  You connected both the SATA and Power, right?  The photo is a little hard to tell.  If so, you might need to Enable that device in the BIOS.

If you are using the B120i you need to set up the drive in the ACU. You enter the ACU during boot.

What other drives are in the system and how are they configured?

Hi,

I have 4 drives in the bay, each are 2tb and they are configured each individually as raid 0, I use drivebender file replication so each drive is in a drivebender pool for redundancy.

I have also removed the caddy and connected the SATA directly to the disk and also used 4 pin molex to SATA power to the drive and still no good.

I recall entering the ACU once before while the drive was connected and it still not detected.

It may have something to do with the SATA and power pin connector, (Y-cable) I have ordered part 484355-001 comes with 531997 and 484355-004.  If the cable works then my plan is to then purchase Samsung evo 1tb drive and add it to the caddy and run the OS from the SSD drive.

Hopefully the Y-cable comes soon and hopefully does the trick.

Jim

Double check the power and Y-s do you feel the drive spin up.  I had a problem where I had to replace a molex y that had a pin push out when I connected.   I currently am using the on board sata5 as well as 3 and 4 in a 3 drive SSD stripe for VM boot drives (really helps with the vCenter VM running smoothly)

I hate Molex power connectors. They get out of alignment and can be incredibly hard to connect together. The one advantage to them is that you can pretty much fix whatever goes wrong with them. For example, if a pin keeps pushing out of the connector when trying to connect it, it can usually be fixed by repositioning tang on the side of the connector pin. But I still hate them ;)