RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows Phone 8.1 & Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 VPN

mdresser

Hi all,

Has anyone here with a Windows 8.1 phone managed to connect to there server yet by VPN?

Windows phone 8.1 only supports IKEv2, update 1 also adds L2TP with IPSec.

Has anyone managed to change there VPN to also support either IKEv2 or L2TP with IPSec? I'm struggling to do so and bricked Anywhere Access this morning and had to restore from a backup.

Thanks

Michael.

In theory, if you enable Anywhere access, it should give you the option to turn on the Remote Access Website, and enable Virtual Private Networking (VPN).

Once you've done that, you'll need to forward port 1701 to the server, and enable GRE 47 (enable L2TP passthrough on most routers). Once you've done that, it should work.

I've enabled PPTP on my android device, and was going to try L2TP soon, but I've come down with a severe case of sick. :(

Ok I finally got this working with IKEv2 (domain\username and password), hopefully this will help anyone else trying to use a Windows Phone.

USP ports 500 and 4500 forwarded server through the router.

Open up NPS > Policies > Network Policies and open up the entry with a source of "Remote Access Server(VPN-Dial-up).

Go to Constraints and click to add an EAP Type. Select "Secured password (EAP-MSCHAP v2)

Click Apply and OK and you are done.

Edited by mdresser

Well, I got L2TP (PSK) enabled on my server. Haven't tested it with Windows Phone yet.... but it definitely works on android.

Though, I had to add like 5 NAT entries for Sophos ... :)

Which included those two ports, 1701, as well as IP Protocol's 50 and 51. And adding a passkey to RRAS (and installing the RSAT console for it on essentials)

Edited by Drashna (WGS)

Windows Phone 8.1 does not currently support SSTP.

I couldn't even get IKEv2 working with 8.1, I had to install the Developer preview of Update 1 before it would work.