RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Network Activity

joem

I notice that when I use Windows Media Center and stream my ripped DVDs from my WHS there is only an instance of network utilization indicated in task manager when I start to play the movie and then no activity generated. How can that be? Also if I use Window Media Player to play the movies stored on the WHS there is constant network utilization as would be expected. What am I missing here guys?

Not sure why that is. Mine shows activity on both thought playing standard DVD's does not take much bandwidth (much less than 10 mbits/sec). You may have some of the movie cached but it does not sound right. There should be some activity.

That was my thinking on this was some sort of caching. I should no this too because I am a network guy by profession. Sort of embarrassing really to not understand this.

Only thought I have is if you marked the share on the Home Server to be available offline on the Media Center PC. Your Media Center may be maintaining a local copy in the background.

I checked to see if it was set for available offline and it is not. I'll run some network tests to see what I come up with. This is baffling.

I am curious, are you looking at network activity in task manager on the server? or on the client PC?

I'm looking at the client PC task manager. But since there is a connection between the WHS and my client PC should there not be network utilization on both? The movie resides on the WHS and I am using Windows Media Center with Media Browser Plugin on the client. Could it be that there is something I don't understand? If so, please explain. Thanks.

I know that when you launch Media Browser, it grabs all the video files to cache the backgrounds and cover art and all that good stuff. So that may be why you see the peak in network traffic, after that is should be just a steady slow stream if your playing a file.

Curious as to what you are experiencing I fired up Media Center on my Windows 7 desktop PC. I use MyMovies so I don't have the exact same situation. When I started playing a DVD I saw in increase in network activity in Task Manager on both the desktop PC and my HP MSS taskmanager. Both of the network activity graphs were identical on the 2 machines. After a short period the network activity did drop back (can't say it went to zero because I was using my Console to watch the server activity (thus generating network activity). After a while of low activity the network activity did increase again for a while and then dropped off nearing the end of the video. The video was only 26 minutes long.

So, it looks like Media Center might be caching the video stream (at least buffering it).