RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Libraries or WHS share?

brianmullins

Hey all,

Love the podcast! Have a question about how people are using WHS with Windows 7. With Libraries allowing you to share files to other client machines on the network, do you still move any files to the WHS shares? Here's some scenario options I've thought of

1) WHS primarily as a backup system. Files would be shared between machines via W7 Libraries only. Con to this would be that in order to access a file on another machine that machine has to be powered on.

2) WHS as the primary location for all user files. Libraries would be set up on each machine to include the related WHS shares, with the share location as the 'default save-to location'. When a user saves to the library it would save directly to the server and get duplicated. This is nice, since everything done on all client machines is on the WHS. Con here is that you don't have historical backups of the files like you do when the file is stored on the local client and backued up by WHS. A second is that some applications don't recognize libraries, so saving would still be something you'd have to troubleshoot, I think.

3) A hybrid, where some things are only on WHS and some are on client machines. Here, things like music, video and photos would be on the WHS shares and everything else is primarily on the client. Con here is that things are scattered around.

I'm currently using option 3, but would be interested in hearing how other's are setting things up. I think the cons from option 2 will go away in time (more applications will recognize libraries, I'll have enough $ to buy more WHS backup space).

Eager to hear what you all think!

Thanks,

CD

I'm doing option 3 as well. Media and backups of old data goes on the WHS, but my "documents" still live on each individual PC. They are laptops and libraries don't work well when one isn't on the network.
*disclaimer* I'm not running win7 myself

How about 2.5? No extenders, only HTPC's using shared folders from WHS for movies and recorded tv.

Have one client set up with mass storage to archive all video types (maybe photos also) and do not back up these particular drives if you have mega bytes of movies and tv. Have all this data in shared folders on WHS. Set every thing else on duplication.

I currently do 2 for all media. I just saw a post on here the other day about a add in that will give you historical backups. I am considering this, and if I do install the add in, I am going to make it where even regular documents go direct to the server.That way nothing on my clients except software.

I'm tossing most everything on the server, except for personal docs. Everything on the server is backed up at this point because I just copied everything from my frankenbuild to my new EX495. But I'm going to have to grab a couple drives for server backups at some point in the not too distant future.