RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
ikon

Need advice for an elderly relative.

Diligent

I personally know an 83-year old man that bought an iPad about 6 months ago, and immediately took to it. It's definitely the easiest thing to operate. He had cataracts at that time too (removed now) and was able to explode the text easily to read the news. He could no longer read the papers, but could read the iPad. I don't care for Apple stuff, but the iPad is a winner for computer noobs....and you're right.....way too expensive for what you get.

Is the Surface 2 too small? It's going for about $360 on Amazon right now. You could scrub off everything except what she needs, and would make it easier to use. 

ikon

I have to admit, being able to enlarge the text is a feature I was hoping to get, but I've been worried that you can't get it at the price point she can afford. After all, touch screens always carry an added cost. However, I was hoping that, if not a touch screen, whatever solution is chosen would have the ability to enlarge the text like, for example, IE or FireFox allowing for Ctrl+ or Ctrl-mouse-scroll-wheel. I fear the Ctrl-mouse-scroll-wheel might be a little more than she can handle, but I think she could handle Ctrl+.

I actually don't know if Chrome can do the Ctrl+ because I don't have it installed. Does someone know, or can they test (I really don't want to install a 3rd browser)?

ikon

Thanks very much Diligent. That makes Chromebooks more viable for sure. Believe it of not, I think she would find Ctrl+ easier to do than pinching (you have to think about motor control for such old fingers: her hands aren't as steady as they used to be).

Diligent

Absolutely. I've built and repaired a number of systems over the years for seniors, and as soon as they mention their hands/fingers don't work right or hurt (arthritis) to use a mouse (let alone "pinching"), I always have them try a trackball. I soon become their new 'grandson'.... Ha Ha! :lol:

ikon

I was thinking we would get her a mouse. I hadn't thought about a trackball, probably mostly because I've never like them for myself. But it's an interesting alternative. Thanks for the suggestion.

ikon

Thanks for the tip. I'm pretty sure all the ones I tried in the past were thumb balls. I found them to be pretty inaccurate to use, and my thumb got stiff and sore.

Diligent

Your welcome. Yea, me too...doesn't feel comfortable. I was sitting here thinking back, and I remember a lady that was co-owner to a tractor dealership that couldn't operate the computer parts system anymore because her arthritis was so bad. Couldn't hardly write with a pen either, if I remember right. Anyway, I got her a center marble that looked similar to the Kensington 64325, and when she used it, you would have thought I saved her life or something.

awraynor