RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

I'm jumping off the WHS train

jazzerjay

I've been a WHS user for quite some time.  First WHS and then WHS2011 and my n40ls are a bit long in the tooth.  Now...I'd like to go to Synology.  I've done some research and am going to purchase the DS214play as a POC.  I like the features of the 214play over the DS214+.  

So my question is do you like Seagate NAS or WD reds?  I guess it's just a matter of preference?  

I would use Reds, but I do have a preference for WD over Seagate. I'm not sure it makes all that much difference.

What's more interesting to me is what you plan to do for Client Computer Backup. Do you plan to retain Bare Metal Restore? If so, how?

I have a large number of the Seagate 3TB desktop drives and so far I have not had any problems.  However, I have a QNAP NAS that I am testing and they state that the Seagate desktop drives are not compatible with their NAS.  They were getting to many support calls from people that were using those drives that they removed them from their compatible list.  Joe_Miner and others have recently had some issues with Seagate drives too.

Not trying to steer you one way or another.

I certainly understand the temptation of Synology. I've started using Bitcasa again as a lot of my data are music and movies that I wouldn't 

cry if I lost it. $10/month for Unlimited is okay. Important docs on OneDrive, everything on CrashPlan, but DVD's. A Synology could actually work.

I hadn't done a bare metal restore in forever until the other day when a software install totally borked my system and BMR to the rescue. 

I had recently looked at the 415 Play, but buying the box loaded with big drives would cost a nice penny compared to the 2011

box that I already own.

And I was the other day for sure. It may just be me, but for some reason I find Acronis confusing although a lot 

of people like it.

I find the Acronis GUI confusing. The option I want seems to never be in the place I expect it.

Yes, it has a lot of functionality, but I'm never sure I'm doing things right with that program. 

Part of the reason I stay with 2011 for now is for the simple BMR option.

I have a large number of the Seagate 3TB desktop drives and so far I have not had any problems.  However, I have a QNAP NAS that I am testing and they state that the Seagate desktop drives are not compatible with their NAS.  They were getting to many support calls from people that were using those drives that they removed them from their compatible list.  Joe_Miner and others have recently had some issues with Seagate drives too.

Not trying to steer you one way or another.

I use both, and haven't really had issues with either, actually.

Well, that's not entirely true. Half the drives that I bought as externals and have "shelled" have failed after a year or so. But then again, I'm not surprised by that.