RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

It happens,,,

schoondoggy

I have three networked printers in my house. Of course the one that my wife uses went offline. When I printed the network configuration page, it had the wrong information. DHCP was not giving it the proper IP, so I tried to enter it manually. I was able to enter it, but it was still offline. Activity lights were blinking on the port on the back of the printer, but I decided to try a different port on the switch. Everything started working again, so oddly enough I had a Ethernet port go bad.

Sharing this as a reminder to start with the basics when troubleshooting.

I would have blamed the printer all day long! I don't get along with wireless printing...

and then bought a new printer!

I just replaced an HP wireless AIO. It had a sleep function, but not a never sleep function, WTH.

A $40 Canon printer off of Woot fixed that problem. 

• 1 month later...

Just had a port fail on a client's Netgear GS108TP switch the other day.  They thought that was the reason GoToMyPC wasn't working --it turned out to be that, and malware that corrupted several installed programs (side-note: SearchConduit really ticks me off).

I only do wired printers at home, with static IPs.  The Dell 3100cn color laser and wife's workstation is upstairs on a Buffalotech AC1200 bridge (4 gig ports linked via 5GHz 802.11ac to the router), and I have an HP Laserjet 2300n as a backup downstairs.

Some of the best printers out there are used black-and-white lasers, especially the mid-2000 HP Laserjets before everything went to crap.  Maintenance parts are inexpensive and easy to change if you know where to find them.  Also, it's easy to get toner for them.  If you see a LaserJet 4050n or 2200n in good shape, you should probably pick it up.

Edited by LoneWolf

Note:  The 4050 and 2100/2200 were before they started microchipping toner cartridges too (which set an actual hardware page count).  The 2100/2200 line are great SMB lasers, and the 4050 is heavier duty than that.