RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Storage Spaces

brandonb1987

So I decided to expand my virtual disk in storage spaces, that went fine, until my volume disappeared...how do I get it back? It doesn't even give me the option to create a new volume at all. Any ideas? I had over 1TB of data on there.  Odd thing is the Virtual disk in storage spaces is still there but no drive assigned.  Is it all lost? I'm new to the whole WS game so i'm quite worried. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Edited by brandonb1987

Yes, backups. I hope you have them.

Although I, and many others on these forums, would advise against using Storage Spaces and recommend either RAID or a software drive organizer like DrivePool of DriveBender, the truth is no drive system is indestructible. Backups are a must, if you want to protect your data.

To your question, I don't know of any way to recover data from a corrupted Storage Space, sorry.

Well after googling and nothing short of pulling my hair out (I may have a few bald spots now...), I may have found the one and only thing that works (for a price sadly).  ReclaiMe!  http://www.storage-spaces-recovery.com/  I downloaded the trial, it pulls up everything that was/is on my pool - included this messed up virtual disk portion.  Selected the down disk, push a button and BAM! There it all is! Everything that was lost shows up in a directory tree as if it was a drive on the left, file specifics on the right, and it slowly retrieves everything (obviously the more data you need to recover the longer it takes).  80$ for the windows only file system, 200$ for Mac/Windows/Linux version.  Highly recommend it for those who do use WS2012 R2 or any other system to recover data mishaps. Check it out!

• Like 1

Nice find. Thanks for posting about it. Who knows who else may benefit.

I have one question though: where did you find it for $80? When I clicked on the Purchase tab on the page you linked, it's $299. It also says that the licence is only good for 1 set of disks. IOW, if you have a different Storage Spaces set go bad, you have to buy another licence, presumably at a discount. Is the price you quoted something you find after you install the Trial Copy?

I also noticed that this software seems to be developed by 2 Russian sisters. That's not something you see every day.

Yea, exactly what I want to be buying, Russian software. <not>    I think I'll stick with PowerShell to backup my data.  However, I am glad the OP got his data back but that is one expensive lesson.

I got the impression he was able to get his data back by using the trial copy. And he says he could have bought it for $80. I didn't find that price anywhere, but I didn't download and install the trial either.

Yes I did encounter the 299$ thing when I first looked at it. I saw this program long ago, and totally dismissed it just based on cost and never thinking I would need something like this.  The 80$/200$ option is given to you when you install the trial.  Basically when you install it, it gives you the ability to view everything but you need to pay to actually access the files and "save" them to a new location.  So when you install the trial, you will see the ACTIVATE button at the top, push it, asks for the code you get from buying.  Well the link to go to the purchase page is at the bottom of the popup screen. Click it and it gives you the 2 options I mentioned above.  Windows only for 80$ and Mac/Linux/Windows for 200$.  Hope this clarifies the confusion

For those wanting to see the options and details I'm actually referring to, use this link

http://www.reclaime.com/buynow.aspx?s=bf

Edited by brandonb1987