RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

about to wash my hands of this product....

well... some progress has been made.

I just started from scratch in Hyper-V... working each issue out one at a time. The end results were always the same.

It would seem, that the baseline requirements as indicated here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj200167.aspx , are in fact wrong.

The "system" partition, can "not" be 60GB.. it has to be larger, otherwise the configuration wizard for essentials fails almost immediately. Which, as my kids might say is... wack... considering the OS installs beautifully with lots of head room for more garbage.

Now, I have yet to get the DX4000 up and running, but I've been able to replicate this problem in Hyper-V regarding the system partition and this irony of errors. I've asked for assistance with this on the essentials server forums, I'm sure I'll get some input there.

regardless, i'll post more details about it once I can confirm the issue on the actual system... this might be worthy of blogging about.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tswalker

• ikon

• jmwills

• Drashna Jaelre

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's the beauty of these forums...  A lot of us are forced to brain dump here as we have nothing (or somebody) else to mull things over with.  I've found simply searching around here, may not solve

I totally agree PetieG. Not always, but often I phrase my posts deliberately to not necessarily lay out the answer to a question in full detail - IOW, to help point the way so the person asking the qu

well.. this is a strange one.

I noticed in my diskpart script that the allocation unit size for the C: partition was configured for 64K (from my RST driver testing on the DX4000)... which is probably too large for that partition anyway, but after reducing to 4K, I was able to get it install without a problem on a 60GB partition. A 160GB partition with an allocation unit of 64K did not have any issues though...

The only time an issue seems to bubble up is during the Essentials configuration wizard "preparing" phase at 0%..... I don't even know what to say about that.

I look forward to your progress

got it running on the DX4000.. it was definitely the allocation unit size for the installation partition.

you can also just forget about the cfg.ini file, this is geared for hosting and/or OEM vendors to setup perhaps an automated solution for clients.

I can see where an 64K allocation unit would cause serious issues. It would use up a lot more space than 4K units to hold the same files.

Can't agree about CFG.INI though. A number of members, including Joe_Miner, have used it very successfully to fine-tube their installations.

reading this, does indicate that it helps simplify it.. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj200117.aspx I may revisit that.

While I definitely would not intentionally format an installation partition for 64K (because it is a waste), it honestly shouldn't matter in the scheme of things. Why the configuration wizards chokes at that is a mystery to me.

For example, say I'm limited to a single partition for this and I know that caching may be critical, I would probably gear the subsystem to use a higher allocation unit to decrease page caching delays and forgo the slight loss in storage capacity due to over allocation. However, if this was reality, I think that system would have bigger fish to fry (so to say) and the point would be moot. just an example.

thanks m8, i'll take another crack at the cfg.ini file though before I do post... I believe it when you guys say there is a benefit to it.. :)

wish I could upload images here... >.<

this is my workstation connected to the DX4000:

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u400/tswalkbucket/Misc/completed_zpsd247f83f.png

Edited by tswalker

I don't know tswalker: thousands of files, each of them wasting 10's of K? Seems like that could add up pretty quickly. I haven't done the math, but it is up to 16 times the overallocation.

ok, so I'm pretty convinced now that the use of unattend.xml and cfg.ini are only for hosted and/or multi-deployment scenarios.

The instructions are more clear here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj200142.aspx

But these lead to generate the unattend, base sysprep (with OOBE instructed to use that unattend), and when combined with cfg.ini and the prep'd base image you can "simplify" the installation procedure. Either automated via your own scripts, web site, or other mechanisms. It is ideal for enterprise environments or labs that may deploy hosted or mulitiple VM or solutions internally, or for external customers as in for OEM setups.. etc. For the hosted VM scenarios, there's more instructions and preps needed found here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj730390.aspx

I'll more than likely steer clear of all that... At some point, I'll build a decent Hyper-V setup and then perhaps dig into it, but being unemployed stinks... I can't really afford to tinker at that level.