RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N54L bios fail..

petermoffat

I stuffed up...

Tries to do the bios mod, but missed the part where the file needed to be unrared, so renamed the rar archive, copied to the USB, and flashed that... Now the server I did it on won't boot, no video, and no hp light.

I've reset the bios with jumper,moved, power on and got red hp light, then moved the jumper back, inserted bios key with hp bios, and booted, but nothing. I can see a light flashing for ambit on the key,and then it stops. When I reboot, the system is as before, no video, no hp light.

Have I completely fudged it? Is there so,etching I'm missing to restore the bios?

Please help!

Renamed the rar file, aren't you supposed to take the file out of the rar file and remand that file, then flash it?

Edited by Blinkydamo

Yes you are Blinkydamo, but the OP already figured that out. The real question is, is there a way to get the BIOS back to a state where it can be flashed again?

Yip, I misread the post explaining it. At one point I remember reading to copy the .rom file, and for some reason i just glanced over it and thought it was a typo..

A new motherboard here is about $400, and I could get a new microserver for $180, so I replaced it.

Hopefully I can find a board somewhere to get that one going again at some point.

Don't suppose there are other boards that will fit?

Schoondoggy, I tried everything except the cd, though I did that same procedure with the extracted ROM file on a usb, as well as the HP bios recovery with no luck..

When you tried the recovery, did you use the HP BIOS or the custom?

I would recommend using the latest HP BIOS and doing it from a cd/dvd. I have had some issues getting the N series MicroServers to boot from USB.

I don't know if this will help in your situation and I've never tried it myself but it may be worth a try -- so it's truly a Hail Mary shot............  Follow HP's directions directly from THEIR site

From HP’s Support

Black Screen Tutorial - HP Support <= Go to this Site and check if this is your Problem

DESCRIPTION

The HP MicroServer G7, in rare instances, may be unable to boot after flashing the System BIOS to a newer version. When this occurs, the Power LED may illuminate green but no video will be displayed despite pressing the keyboard or moving the mouse.

1. Power off your MicroServer N40L/N54L and wait for 5 Minutes
  2. On your Desktop/Laptop Go to "C:\SWSetup\SP54344\USB Key"
  3. Plug-In your USB
  4. Start the File HPQUSB.exe and follow the Wizard.
  5. Unplug your USB from Computer and Plug-In to your MicroServer
  6. Power On and wait for 5-10 Minutes. For a period of time, there will be no video displayed on the screen. This is expected behavior
  7. Power the server off and unplug the USB drive
  8. Power the server on again. The system will boot and the System BIOS will be re-flashed successfully.

I've done that, though didn't wait 10 minutes.. Just made a new usb key and switched on, will check later, and then try with the newer bios SP6xxxx?