RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

raid 0 with SSD's for a raid newb

scottbakertemp

Guys,

I'm trying to setup a raid 0 with 2 intel SSD's.

I tried the following since I already had them:

Silverstone Tek PCI Express Card with 2 SATA 6 Gbps Internal Ports (EC05)

2X  Intel 330 Series Maple Crest SSDSC2CT120A3K5 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

I noticed that running the "winsat formal" benchmark from a command prompt that I was actually getting about:

300 MB/s (Disk  Sequential 64.0 Read) with 2 SSD's and the raid card

522 MB/s (Disk  Sequential 64.0 Read) with 1 SSD and no raid card

I assume my raid card isn't any good for this.  Is there a raid card under $100 that would give me at least 1.5 times the performance of 1 SSD?

thanks!

What OS are you running?

What slots are available on your motherboard?

I like LSI RAID controllers.

There seem to be several SAS 9240-8i for under $100 on eBay.

What OS are you running?

What slots are available on your motherboard?

I like LSI RAID controllers.

There seem to be several SAS 9240-8i for under $100 on eBay.

I'm running windows 8.1 pro.  I saw your post about LSI raid cards.  I'm not big on buying things from ebay.  I have 2 PCIE x1 slots and 1 PCI slot available.  Is an x1 slot too slow?

According to newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128512

My motherboard has raid but I sure couldn't find anything resembling that in the bios.  Is motherboard raid terrible?  I'll re read my motherboard manual and see if I can figure out how to do it.

What were you going to put on the RAID0? 

Motherboard RAID is more of a software RAID. You need to load software/drivers to get it to work.

If you motherboard supports RAID, it will have a "switch" to enable it in the BIOS.

Typically , you then reboot and in the subsequent start up you will have a "RAID" setup screen -   you typically have to type in Alt H or Alt X or something to enter the RAID setup screen 

If your drives are installed,   you then can set them up as a RAID 0 set ( again , if the Motherboard supports this. )

Keep in mind, this will completely overwrite everything you have on these drives. I would also disconnect any other drives you have, to make sure you don't overwrite them.  

The same basic procedure holds for a external raid card -  you should see a "RAID" set up screen on boot.     You may also need to load drivers and such for your particular card. 

Installing a new boot image on a RAID 0 is somewhat tricky - especially if the windows version you are working with doesn't have native drivers for your raid card.  

Less expensive Raid cards don't have any processing power and the brains are handled by the motherboard/cpu. This is what schoondoggy referred to as "software raid"   Frankly the better and more expensive hardware Raid cards cost about as much as 240 gig SSD these days. 

One last note:   if your objective is to get a 50 % improvement in throughput -  you may be disappointed -  check the various posts on SSD and RAID in this forum.  SSD are so fast that other factors in your particular  set up may a limiting factor. 

exactly how will you notice a 50 % improvement in SSD throughput anyway -   the intel SSD's you have are pretty fast already.

We'll I I guess I went against everyone's suggestions.  I intend to use the newly created 240 gig raid 0 for OS, games, and apps.

Last night, I installed a raid 0 array with the 2 intel SSDs and the motherboard raid. (gigabyte z68 board with a core i7 and 16 gig of ram)

I actually got double the speed (according to read benchmarks) but in reality it only feels slightly faster.

So if I wanted to go with a dedicated raid card.  What should I buy?  Will I really notice a difference over what I just did?

What size RAID stripe are you using? I found 128K stripe gave me the best performance. Ironically Intel used this same size stripe to test the performance of their latest SSD's. I'm using Intel motherboard RAID which I thought was considered firmware RAID and not software RAID. The problem with firmware RAID slowing down the CPU has been eliminated by the speed of today's processors.  My RAID 0 is being used for my OS, Data and VM's. It is backed up on a daily basis using Acronis TI 2014. VM's are excluded from the backup and saved separately. I'm getting 957MB/s writes and 1200MB/s reads. My setup is an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard and two Corsair Neutron 256GB SSD's.