RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
okhomer

Which is better?

okhomer

Would you recommend intel i7-4790k and 750 Ti or Intel i5-4670k and gtx 760 for 1080 monitor? This is also a work PC that needs support for 3 monitors.

ikon

I don't have a recommendation, but I am curious how you came to those two combinations, rather than some others.

okhomer

Mainly because I have a budget and those 2 combinations come under my budget.

ikon

Got it.

Al_Borges

It all depends on whether your needs depend more on graphics or CPU horsepower.

Check the various enthusiast websites to estimate the relative performance the CPU/GPU s you are considering.

Then its up to you - would you trade 20% CPU performance for a 30 % improvement in graphics ?

In general, I personally always opt for the best CPU/motherboard I can afford. Memory and graphics can easily be upgraded over the useful

Life of a good cpu

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-F using Tapatalk

ikon

There is always the fact that GPU technology seems to advance more quickly than CPU.

yodafett

760 over 750 in a heartbeat.   The 750 is actually pretty on par with the older 260/460.  unless running VMs, Cad or transcoding you should not miss the hyperthreading.  Also if near a microcenter can usually get the I7 in the 250 range in store.

Big Worm

Are you playing any games on this machine?  If not then hands down get the i7-4790k and 750TI.  I have the the i7-4770k and 750TI at home and the i7-4790 and 750 TI and work.  Both machines are fast!  

okhomer

Thanks Guys.  I decided going with the i7 and the 750 GPU.  I don't game that much anymore and I need the support for VMs.  Thanks for all the help.

760 over 750 in a heartbeat.   The 750 is actually pretty on par with the older 260/460.  unless running VMs, Cad or transcoding you should not miss the hyperthreading.  Also if near a microcenter can usually get the I7 in the 250 range in store.

I did try going this route but it was in store only and I could not talk them into getting it from there.  Thanks though.

jmacbo

Good choice ;). I see you said you don't game as much anymore, should you change your mind the 750 actually works pretty well for a casual gamer playing at 1080p.