RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Seagate Ships World’s First 8TB Hard Drives

Taffeys

"Seagate Technology, a world leader in storage solutions, today announced it is shipping the world’s first 8TB hard disk drive. An important step forward in storage, the 8TB hard disk drive provides scale-out data infrastructures with supersized-capacity, energy-efficiency and the lowest total cost of ownership (TCO) in the industry for cloud content, object storage and back-up disaster recovery storage."

No mention of cost, performance, etc.

http://www.seagate.com/about/newsroom/press-releases/Seagate-ships-worlds-first-8TB-hard-drives-pr-master/

• Like 1

The backups would obviously continue in full force. I might even have more backup copies, since I could still have fewer drives than I have presently.

I will never need that much, or anything close to it.

Hey, everyone needs a local copy of the internet. :)

(but we really know that's in the exabyte range already)

THough, what about ripping every bluRAY movie you own or rent? :)

I don't have that many BluRay discs, or even that many DVD movies. They are ripped, but they only take up 822GB. Let's face, not every movie needs, or should, be retained. In fact, many of them should actively be purged from everyone's catalogue ;) I only rip and keep the movies I really like, so that leaves an awful lot of them at curbside.

Believe it or not, most of the movies we watch are either at the theater (but only if they can benefit by being seen in IMAX or, especially, IMAX 3D) or by renting them from our cable company.