RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
richlars

Administrative privileges lost

richlars

Crapola!!!!  I think I will call it a night and do a re-install in the morning!  Every move now is "Access Denied".

jmwills

That should not have caused an Access Denied.  Were you able to login with the Built in Admin account?

richlars

Knocking on wood, I am happy to say that everything seems to be running well.  I did a re-install and everything is working like it should.  The bad news is that the poor old original 1.5TB  Seagate that came with the EX495 must not have liked all the extra activity and started a resounding "click of death"  The good news that I do not understand maybe somebody can explain to me. With the great help of Drashna we had migrated all of mu v1 data to the 2011 format.  With this re-install the original drive failed so I thought the original info was lost.  No worries as I had it all backed up.  But I started to set up the folders, as I typed in one of the non-standard folders that I had on v1, it retrieved all of the original data.  Admittedly I don't know how all of this works, but I thought that all of this stuff was scattered across all available drives, and if one failed it would have to be restored from a back-up.  Was I wrong in my thinking?

ikon

OK, if  I've understood what you're saying correctly, you had more than 1 drive in the system. If that's the case, WHSv1 would normally store your data on the drives that are not  the boot drive. So, if you replaced the boot drive with a new one, and did a reinstall to it, then went to the other (data) drives, the data would still be there. IOW, WHSv1 won't put data on the boot drive unless it has to, usually due to space constraints.

richlars

OK, That makes sense.  I cannot remember at what point I added the 2 TB WD Green, but possibly when I did that, v1 migrated all the info to that drive.  I can't remember if the original setup had a partition for the OS or not.  Doesn't really matter, I was just curious and happy that it was there.

ikon

WHS (all versions, even WSE2012) set up an OS partition.

jmwills

I think the root cause of all your problems was the bad drive. 

richlars

Sorry, took some time for a family reunion.  I did a re-install of everything and all seems to be right with the worlds, knock on wood.  The only string of bad luck is with my new WD 3TB NAS HDD that arrived DOA.  B&H has a new one on its way.  Stable Bit scanner only picked up on one little square that was bad and rejected it.  I tried using the toaster to see if it would be recognized on any other machine, but no go.

But I do have a noob question.  I quickly found out that "Server Folder" meant on the main server drive so I quickly ran out of room.  Made new folders in the DrivePool but some of my devices don't recognize the DrivePool folders.  Only the server folders.  What do I need to do to make them visible or make the server folders link to the DrivePool folders?

Thanks, Rich

ikon

That's been my experience with WD Red drives: i.e. if they fail they either arrive DOA or shortly after being put into service. I've had this happen to me. The replacement drive has been running 24/7 ever since (close to 2 years I think).

I don't think "Server Folder" means on the main server drive. I suspect you're talking about the default location of the ServerFolders folder. You cannot just create a new ServerFolders folder somewhere and expect the system to use it. You need to use the WHS2011 DashBoard to relocate the shared folders.

1. assuming you haven't put anything in them yet, delete the new folders you created in DrivePool;
  2. launch the WHS2011 DashBoard;
  3. click on the Server Folders and Hard Drives icon at the top of the DashBoard;
  4. In the Server Folders tab, take note of the current location of the various shared folders;
  5. right-click on a folder you want to move and click on "Move the folder";
  6. follow the dialogue prompts to relocate the folder where you want it.