RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
richlars

Administrative privileges lost

ikon

Yes, I suspect you will have to reapply permissions to all your folders by propagating them down the tree.

jmwills

^^ We have a winner !!!!

ikon

Yes, a "joyous" task that may take hours to days to complete, depending on the number of files and folders, not to mention that it's a good idea to cross your fingers and toes and hope that there are no 'gotchyas'. This may be a situation where a PowerShell script may be quite advantageous, if for no other reason than to override the popups that ask you if you want to change just this file or all instances.

richlars

Oh boy do I wish the first part of your statement was true.  Actually this year I turn 57.  Looking back I think I have always had ADD and I am just realizing it.  Early on I had such a hard time focusing on reading that I developed a bad habit of trying to skim my way through paragraphs and picking out the important stuff.  Didn't work so well.  And still doesn't.  Also I remember very well my grandpa saying, "Rich, you are going to be a jack of all trades and master of none."  I think those two conditions go hand in hand.  There is nothing that I am afraid to dive in and try, but staying focused to the finish is a tremendous chore.

I am far from a tech geek and beside the fact that I run AutoCad on my machine, my main interest in technology right now iss what it is doing for my favorite hobby, genealogy.  That is my main purpose for a server is for file storage and sharing.  I spend too much time in my basement doing my job and enjoy doing research from my upstairs computer.  But I like having access from the server to both machines.  My scanners and printers are downstairs in my office so I scan documents, put them on my server and work with them upstairs.
Then between Thanksgiving and Christmas I become a jolly old elf, so that shows you how old I am.  But your last statement still hits me dead-on.

Oh, and back on the subject, would a reboot be needed to recognize the permission changes?

ikon

Well, you're not as young as I was thinking, but still young compared to me ;) Sorry to hear you've had to deal with ADD-like symptoms all these years, 'Course, it wasn't recognized for what it is back in the day.

No, you should not have to reboot the server - permissions are supposed to take effect immediately. Now, if someone is logged into a computer and accessing the server, they might have to log out and back in to register the new permissions. I say 'might' because my experience is that this more often applies to computers in a Domain.

richlars

At this point a re-install does not worry me since we came to the simple conclusion of what was giving the me the trouble.  But watching Drashna do his work via Team Viewer was amazing and totally confusing.  I will need to see if I can't figure that one out better before I try it.

I figured you were a young buck since you were so smart on this stuff.  You must have been doing it for quite some time now..  I don't know how you keep up with it.

ikon

I wrote my 1st computer program in '65. ;)

richlars

That is great!  I remember in High School seeing the kids running around with their deck of punch cards thinking it would be a passing fad.  Boy was I wrong!

'65!?!?!  There wasn't much access to computers then was there?.

richlars

Yep, that did the trick.  I guess I will have to address each folder as needed.

jmwills

Yes, a "joyous" task that may take hours to days to complete, depending on the number of files and folders, not to mention that it's a good idea to cross your fingers and toes and hope that there are no 'gotchyas'. This may be a situation where a PowerShell script may be quite advantageous, if for no other reason than to override the popups that ask you if you want to change just this file or all instances.

Not really.  You should be able to do this from the Parent Folder and reapply to all the children.  We've always called it flushing the permissions.  For example:

Go to the Documents Folders>Right Click and go to the Security Tab.  Hit the Advanced Button>Permissions and make sure your Account is listed there.  By Default I think it will be at the "Special" Level or Full Control.  Verify this.  Now hit the Change Permissions Button and

check the box next to "Replace all child Object............................." and "Include......." and hit apply.  What this does is to replace all the Child Folders with the same permissions as the Parent named "Documents".

That should do it.  <and for the record I'll be 61 two weeks from today> -_-