RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
richlars

Administrative privileges lost

richlars

Leave it to me to screw up a good thing.

Everything was working fine.  Drashna was kind enough to help me set up Drivepool and Scanner via Team Viewer.  Last night I was getting a bit nervous seeing Team Viewer evidence everywhere (the little icon that appears next to you minimize icon) and decided to uninstall it.  I am not sure if it was coincidental but after the uninstall was complete, all kinds of strange things happened  I lost all kinds of internet connection from this machine only.  That was restored this morning though I don't know how.  As I tried to access this forum it went nowhere but everything else was working.

But the biggest thing is that I cannot login as an administrator at all.  Under "Users" I am listed but in the Remote Web Access column I am listed as not allowed.

Any ideas on what I did and how do I fix it?

Thanks, Rich

jmwills

Did you install Team Viewer?  And if so, to whom did you give access to?

richlars

Yes I did so that Drashna could basically do the install of Drivepool and Scanner for a network challenged user,

jmwills

Did you install the application or use the web version?  There should be an "Administrator" account.  Can you logon with that and perform a restore?  If all accounts have lost Admin access I don't see any alternatives except for a reinstall.

richlars

I just checked, it was the full windows version, despite Drashna's telling me to DL the Quick Support version.  Doh!!!  I am a slow reader and tend to skip over stuff.  This who;e exercise has taught ne that I need to slow down and try better to understand what I am doing.

I feel a re-install coming.

jmwills

The web version does the same thing with a lot less hassle.  Lesson learned.  Were you able to log in with the "Administrator" account?

richlars

OK, realizing that I was doing the same thing that always get me in trouble, (not reading to the end), I was able to login as administrator via Windows Explorer.

richlars

It appears that I have been able to fumble my way back to getting my privileges restored,  But now I am have trouble getting my permissions back.  I have gone through all of the permissions/share dialogue and everything looks good, but I if I try to change a file name or write to a folder, I get the "You need permission......" box

ikon

Let me guess richlars, you're a young guy, under 30, probably under 25 or even 20. If so, you're not alone; I've seen many people your age with your issue of not slowing down to understand things before plunging ahead.

I've lead a team with younger members over the years, with the members changing over time, and have often told many of them, "Woah!, slow down, think it through, make a plan, then proceed". At first many of them think I'm just an old fogey but, over time, almost every single one of them made sure to thank me for teaching the lesson of patience, and perseverance, before they moved on to bigger pastures.

As I've said to my own son many times, "For the younger generation, the only issue with instant gratification is it's just not fast enough". :)

jmwills

It appears that I have been able to fumble my way back to getting my privileges restored,  But now I am have trouble getting my permissions back.  I have gone through all of the permissions/share dialogue and everything looks good, but I if I try to change a file name or write to a folder, I get the "You need permission......" box

There's a way tk to do this. Gimme a few