RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Vertigo

Stablebit DrivePool upgrade options

Vertigo

Hi,

At present I have an early version of DrivePool 1 installed on my WHS2011 box.  It's been running fine for a while so I've never bothered upgrading it.

Now I see that there's an updated version of v1 which I can obviously install but I'm also looking at the new v2.  Two questions arise:

1. Does the licence I have entitle me to v2 or do I have to pay again?

2. I notice that I'd have to remove v1 and then install v2 on my server - does this mean I'm going to have to move all my data off the server then remove the pools and so forth before I uninstall then re-create the pool and move it all back again?

ikon

My understanding is that you can uninstall DP, leaving the data pools as they are, install a newer version of DP, and it will pick and use the existing data pools. Hopefully Drashna will pop in and confirm or correct.

Have you checked the support documentation on http://stablebit.com? I've found it's pretty good at answering questions.

Vertigo

Ta for that, will have a look on the site.  From what I've gathered after a bit of reading though, there's no much point upgrading to v2 on a WHS2011 machine - for now I've just installed the latest v1 update.

ikon

If that works for you, carry on. I needed a pretty recent build of v2 because I wanted the ability to eject and auto-detect external USB drives.

Drashna Jaelre

I think I answered this at stablebit.com already, but just in case.

(puts on work hat)

The license is good for any version of the product. So you can install 2.X and see if you like it. If you don't, revert to 1.X, without issue.

As for the pool. all the files are stored in hidden folders. Uninstalling it doesn't affect the actual data, but will "remove" the pool. Once you've reinstalled DrivePool (any version) it will recognize the folders and recreate the pool. As if nothing had happened.

As for differences between 1.X and 2.X, there are a few. These are all 2.X specific features.

• Independent remote control (no dashboard needed).
  • Reparse Point support (junction points, etc)
  • File Placement rules (you can limit what disks are used for specific folders or extensions or more)

Both versions do support the dashboard, but 1.X has much more integration with the dashboard.