RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

strange behaviour with WD SE drive in external USB

tswalker

I have a Western Digital SE WD4000F9YZ 4TB drive that I put into a Rosewill RX-358 U3C enclosure. I would like to be able to start doing differentials to this, but for whatever reason.. I can not get the system to boot or restart with this thing plugged in. I replaced the drive with a cheep WD Caviar 320GB, and the system has no issues booting/restarting.

I've tried a few times now to scrub that WD SE, removing any and all volumes, partition; however, I have yet to use the WD diag tool to wipe the drive with zeros... which I guess I'll fire off next.. but I'm not convienced it will change anything.

I've scanned through the BCD firmware, looks clean.. no duplicates, no missed paths to EFI, everything looks to be in order. It has to have something to do with this WD SE drive in the enclosure and I can not figure out what it could be.

Has anyone had similar issues as this before and how did you solve it?

Edited by tswalker

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• schoondoggy

• tswalker

Top Posters In This Topic

1. have you tried connecting the unit to the system, using USB, after the system is already up & running?

2. have you tried the unit on another system?

3. did you try connecting the drive directly to a system without the enclosure?

1. yes, the unit will work just fine with that drive if it is powered off during boot. powering it on after post and the OS is running allows me access. I've noticed that on occasion the system takes a while to recognize it, and sometimes I have had to unplug the unit while powered on, and plug it back in for the OS to pick it up.

2. I have not tried this, but will do here shortly. It will have to be a completely different hardware platform though, I only have one of these systems.

3. yes, I can insert the drive into port 1 in that system on the controller.. boot with WINPE, DISKPART it, wipe it, tickle it... works fine as a drive with the RAID controller. just gives me fits in the external USB 3.0 enclosure.

Another interesting thing is, I can watch the system trying to find the boot loader (this is that DX4000 headless with the LCD). It will sit there initializing... and the light on the external USB will begin flashing, almost as if it wants me to do something, or it is having problems finding the boot loader. If I power off the external unit, the system will continue to load and start searching the primary internal array for the boot loader and begin loading the OS.

I've tried changing the format of the external drive (the 4TB WD SE) to MBR with only a 2TB partition.. makes no difference. The system sits and spins on reboot or power up until I power off that external USB.

Oh, it's a headless system. I suspect it might be a BIOS boot order issue. Any way you can get a monitor & keyboard on the system during boot, so you can get into the BIOS and check/change the boot order?

I really wish I could, its' a PITA.. complete lights out on that DX4000. I'm not even sure if I managed to get a remote UEFI shell working on the system I could get access into it... there is so little information out there on it.

It is so weird, if I put an older SATA 1 drive in that external enclosure.. no issues at all.

Edited by tswalker

I think it might have more to do with the idea that the system doesn't consider the SATA I drive as a boot option ahead of the real OS drive, whereas it could be putting the 4TB drive at the top of the list. I've always found the criteria that systems use to automatically determine boot order to be arbitrary and nebulous.

This is one of the reasons I don't like headless systems. If it had IPMI it might be different, but I see no reference to IPMI in the specs.

That would be my conclusion too since when the V1 was introduced, these large drives were not available.

I believe you're right... and it has got me thinking, if I were to put a system partition on it, with a startup.nsh (UEFI system) that pointed back to the internal array boot loader, I wonder if that would work. I may give that a try here shortly.

I did find an interesting tool to access the ROM, but only for flash/dump use:

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u400/tswalkbucket/Misc/AMI-mxic25L_v2_zps9625168d.png

http://www.megatrends.com/Support/productsubmit.cfm?prodid=442

so, I can completely dump the ROM... I just wish I had a way to access the dang thing.

There are some add on boards that allow you to attach a VGA monitor.

I'm not so sure how that would work, the system has a single PCIe x4 slot which extends the SATA ports.. the controller is actually on board. If it were a USB>VGA thing that somehow integrated into the ROM for post... that would be awesome, but I don't see that happening.