RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

URGENT HELP: WHS 2011 EXTREMELY HIGH data usage

r.mcadams@mchsi.com

Guys, I really need your help.  Was notified by my ISP that I had burned through all of my 250GB cap (in 14 days), when I usually use 70GB-110GB/month depending on the amount of Netflix/Vudu streaming we do.  By process of elimination, I determined that my WHS 2011 N54L is the culprit.  My suspicion is a virus, partially because that's usually the explanation for weird data usage, and partially because I have no AV on my WHS 2011 box.  I'm not sure anyone even makes one made for WHS 2011.  MSE won't install, Malwarebytes won't install, Avast won't install.

How can I determine what's using so much data (to the tune of a GB an hour)?

Are there malware/AV software available for WHS 2011? 

Any other ideas of what might be my problem.

The only software that's changed in the last six months is switched from KeepVault to Cloudberry using Amazon Glacier, which moves 339MB nightly, I started using iHomeServer (which installs iTunes) about 2-3 months ago, and started using TuneUp w/ iTunes on the server maybe 45 days ago. 

If I can't figure this out, I've got to just turn off my server.

ANY IDEAS FOR HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!

You should look into getting yourself a old Belkin N1 router. It has a download/upload meter on it and will also show 24 hour usage and local IP address so you can see which computer is the culprit.

Thanks, Diehard!  I'll check into that.  When you say "old", do you mean there not sold new now?

I currently run Malwarebytes on my WHS 2011 box with zero issues.  What kind of error are you getting when you try to install?

Before writing off the server, fire up resource monitor and look at the stats under the network tab. Check for unusual traffic behavior from each process as well as the source/destination TCP/IP connections to give you a clue about your server's network activities.

I usually suck at stuff like this but if you run from a command prompt "netstat -a"  it will show you EVERYTHING that is actually listening on your server and the IP address/

John - Downloaded Malwarebytes, then saved to desktop, then did "Run As Admin" and it installed correctly (even though I was already installed as Admin).  It installed correctly. Will run and see what it finds.

Edited by r.mcadams@mchsi.com

OK Guys.  I was able to install Malwarebytes and Sophos Anti-Rootkit tool and scan with both.  No malware or rootkit issues found.  I have installed the SysInternals tools to try and figure out what is using data, but am overwhelmed by the complexity of this tool. I'm not an IT guy by any stretch... passed a few WinNT exams 15 years ago, but I'm an Econ/Business major by training and have never been a true IT guy.  How can I use SysInternals to figure out what is using so much data?  jmwills - I tried using Task Manager, but the Network tab only shows total in/out while the windows is open and no by process... please advise if there's a way to show network traffic by process.

oj88 - I found Resource Monitor and this looks more like what I need... I am looking at Network tab for things that look out of line... Under "Processes with Network Activity", I sorted them by activity and the highest is svchost.exe (termsvcs), which I guess I the terminal services that I'm using to remote into my headless server. Nothing else comes close to termsvcs in terms of total bytes.  Can I set it to log over time to see what's using so much data?  It seems like whatever it is is slowing down to when I run this monitoring... but I've used .9GB of data in the <3 hours I've been troubleshooting.

THANKS for trying to help me!

Edited by r.mcadams@mchsi.com